Need Slideshow Software Recommendations

hoi_kwong

<p>I had the need only once to create a few slide-show-videos, so at the time I didn't want to spend any money. I ended up using <a href="http://www.nchsoftware.com/slideshow/">PhotoStage</a>, which is free. Not the most impressive piece of software and a bit annoying UI in places (to my taste anyway), but it did the job and it actually looked pretty good. For occassional use, I'd choose it again (for more frequent use, I'd probably bite the bullet and spend the cash).</p>

<p>I use Adobe Premiere Elements 12 - a lot cheaper and you can download the program for free review. (I think version 13 is out). Adobe has a dual sales where you can also buy Adobe Photoshop Elements if you want that too. </p>

<p>These 1080's HD on Youtube were done with their earlier version. The scuba show is from scanned 35mm slide film. The Coney Island is all digital stills. Don;t forget to click on 1080 if you have the band width. https://www.youtube.com/user/AlanClips/videos</p>

<p>For home presentation I output 1080p (H264 AVCHD) onto a standard DVD disk using stills and movie clips. H264 AVCHD format however is BluRay so I can play 1080p on my HDTV using my BluRay player (with menus) without the cost of BluRay disks. (You can output PAL or NTSC) Premiere can also create other formats for playing on your computer, direct uploads to YouTube, Facebook and Vimeo and similar sites, all in 1080 HD. Premiere also comes in a Pro version but I haven't used it. </p>

<p>I'm using APE 11 but don't find many fancy features in transaction effects or 2-3 pictures fly-in and fly-out effects... etc <br>

I need more fancy effects in text display... spinning in/out, bouncing..... May be I'm spoiled by the trial version of Proshow producer.<br>

I'm on Windows 8, not Mac, sorry. </p>

<p>There is something to be said, by the way, for not having so many gimmicks in the presentation that the meaning gets lost in the whiz-bang. Remember the old acronym KIS.</p>

<p>Unless, of course, you are trying to make them <strong><em>not</em></strong> notice the point of the presentation.<br>

That's of course, when you want lots of 'razzle-dazzle', as the old scammers used to call it.<br>

:)</p>

<p>I use Premiere 12 and there seems to be plenty of transitions and effects for texts and images, way more than I need. I use simple effects. They seem to work better for me to not distract the viewers.</p>

<p>On the other hand, home movies and slide shows can get boring to visitors. A few "wiz bangs" may add the jolt you need to keep their interest. I recently put together a vacation show that I thought was very good. It had slides, movie clips, narration, background music, even menus. It was a trip to Hawaii where my wife and I cruised 4 of the islands. Well, my cousin's husband showed some interest in the beginning in Oahu then fell asleep in Maui. He didn't awaken until Kauai having missed our tours of the volcanoes on the Big Island.</p>

<p>Since you are on Windows 8, have you looked at Windows Movie Maker? If you don't already have it, I believe it is free download.<br>

I have ProShow Producer myself, but I have also successfully used Windows Movie Maker from time to time. It has transitions, some effects, sound and text. Don't be deceived by the very simple look.<br>

<br />Wikipedia has an <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Movie_Maker">article about Windows Movie Maker</a></p>