Need Help Giving Quote For a Licensing Request

bill_lyons1

<p>I have been in the business for over forty years and have usually left my stock sales up to the agencies that handle <br>

sales and pricing. I don't usually do a lot of direct sales, certainly not on the scale that I will describe here. I have been contacted directly by a major international advertising agency who would like to purchase licensing rights<br>

for one of my images with the following criteria: </p>

<p><em>"We are seeking a quotation for usage rights of one of your landscape images. The requirement would be for 3 years, global usage for use by an international bank. Use to include large display billboard/posters in airports, press, online so basically all media usage except TV. 3 year period must be exclusive for this image. Kindly provide a quote for this usage. Thank you".</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

I have gone online to a couple of the big stock agencies and could not get a very good idea of what I should charge for this - I am sure I would have to speak to one of their reps to get a clear idea as the websites just don't allow for all of the details of the request for usage that I have been sent.<br>

Anybody ready to give me a fairly solid idea of what I should be asking?</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

<p>Hey,<br>

What i can advise is,<br>

They are being quite vague about the usage, You need to know 'exactly' how many billboards, posters in how many airports, & other territories what press is covered, 'basically all media except tv' ? i would be asking for complete specifics of every possible useage. You need to know the print runs the sizes, you need to know everything. You should also try and find out how much they want your image, is it 'the one' they have been searching for, or if you've been shortlisted and your image is not that high the list. You need to get involved & use clever pysche language to try and gauge how much value your image is going to bring that company.<br>

For that level of market & use though i would say somewhere i would pitch at $15-$25k a year. Depeneds how much use and value it has though. Let us know how you got on.</p>