Need 35mm scanner advice

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by dmitry_kiyatkin, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Hello, I am thinking of getting a film scanner to scan 35mm B/W film and slides. Budget < $500, less is better. I am using Max OS X Snow Leopard. I am looking fior reasonable printable quality into 11x14 prints. Any advice welcome, I have very little recent knowledge about this field. Thanks, Dmitry

2. How many images are you planning to scan? Take into consideration the enormous amount of time needed to scan the pictures. Maybe you want to hand them over to a lab and have them scanned there?

3. A used Nikon V would be within your budget. I believe they are no longer in production.
    Avoid any type of flatbed scanner if your need is specifically film. Avoid those cheap $~100 "scanners" you see advertised. The image quality is very poor from those IMO.
    If you can find a used Nikon 5000 in that price range, that would be best, in my opinion.
    Very few, if any, scanners can use "Ice" to clean up B&W negs.
    I'd avoid a used Nikon 4000 as its version of "Ice" is not compatible w/ Kodachrome.
    I created a page of 35MM slide scanning tips .
    The FAQ on my 35MM slide scanning service page my provide you with some useful info.

4. I use the Coolscan V (LS-50), so I can agree that it is a very good scanner, and you will save much time with the ICE software.

5. If you want new,the Epson V700 flatbed resolves about 2300 dpi.
    My B/W films invariably have curled across the width and I have the ANR glass to hold flat a frame to be scanned for printing:
    http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/insert35.html
    Just to quickly look at the negatives they can be scanned 24 at a time in the supplied holder.
    If going used Nikon Coolscan V there is an additional holder for that,FH-3,to hold negatives flatter.

6. I highly recommend the Nikon Coolscan V ED film scanner. Excellent quality. You won't regret it, even though it is more than your planned budget.

7. If not mistaken I think the price diff is not much between a Epson V700 and a Nikon V dedicated scanner.
    I got the V700 because I intend to shoot large format. If I was only in the 35mm I would of gotten the Nikon.
    In fact after the V700, I intend to get the Nikon 8000 that does 35mm and medium format assuming I get into medium format, if not the V would be the way to go or maybe IV model if it supports ICE.
    Keep an eye out for a used one.

8. Dmitry, I will also strongly suggest that you read some articles before buying a scanner/starting to scan. Well-writtten articles can save you from those annoying mistakes any scanning novice is bound to make, and will save you time doing it all over again.
    If you google, there are lots of interesing sites on this topic beside this forum, for example www.scantips.com I am sure that other members can reccommend other sites

9. You might also check out the Nikonians' recent podcast on the subject.
    They discuss "Silverfast" scanning software: which you might need to run a Nikon film scanner on a Mac. I have a Nikon Cooloscan V ED — and it will not even run on Leopard (let alone Sno Leopard) because Nikon has stopped supporting the scanner software.
    But Silverfast makes software for 10.5 and 10.6 — and judging by the reivews, it is significantly better than the Nikon Scan (which, considering the excellent quality of their film scanners, was rudimentary).
    The Silverfast product continues to make use of the infrared channel of the digital ICE, but from everything I've heard, they have done a better job of it.