My "new" Kowa Six with rare 35mm f4.5

John Crowe

20200404_090217.thumb.jpg.9d6411d9b5e797e3c5f4e42b3e0ff282.jpg 20200404_090005.thumb.jpg.8eb9dd62d91295f453531ad4f0944dd8.jpg In 35 years of research I somehow completely missed this camera/lens combination. I forget how the Kowa caught my attention earlier this week, but within a few minutes I found this on kijiji, and after more exhaustive research, and realizing how rare this 35mm is, I bought it 2 days later. The glass and camera are absolutely flawless! The aperture works fully manually but does not re-tract on it's own like it is supposed to. I suspect it needs lubrication or perhaps one of the springs has weekened. If you know what the problem maybe let me know. In the meantime it is completely useable.

For those 35 years I have often dreamed of the still expensive Hasselblad SWC with its 38mm Biogon, or a 500CM with 40/4, or a 6x9 with SA 47/5.6 These were the widest rectilinear lenses for 120 format that I knew of before settling on an affordable Mamiya C330 with a 55mm f3.5 lens for my wideangle passion. I added a 4x5 with SA 65/8, and used them for about ten years before selling them about ten years ago.

So to discover this Kowa with rectilinear 35/4.5 was a wonderful surprise and since it was so cheap I just had to have it. It will complement the 6x6 camera that I am currently configuring for my Canon 17 TS-E. Hopefully in a month I can post some photos here to show the results from both. I don't expect the Kowa to be as good as a Biogon but if it even gets close to the Mamiya 55/3.5 I will be exstatic!

• Like 1

I don't think you know how extraordinarily lucky you are :) . Even 40mm Kowa lens are like chicken teeth , in the

last year I saw one on ebay (Germany) and it went for over 1000 $ . I've had a number of their other lens apart in

the last couple of years and it sounds like the shutter needs cleaning , which is pretty much a complete tear down .

Ross is highly regarded in Kowa repairs . Peter

Hi Peter. I do know how rare it is and not certain that I will indeed keep it. Though it would make a nice "SWC" I have come across Ross' name many times in the past week. I will have to see what is involved in shipping it across the border for repair, as I am in Canada. I have been using a local repairman, but rather than risk that, I would likely sell it in as-is condition, since it would likely end up in the States anyway.

Congratulations on catching a unicorn! :)

Very rare and cool lens, finding photos made with it might be even rarer.

Since you're on a hot streak, why not try for the incredibly elusive 19mm?;)

Enjoyed my Kowa Six while I had it: struck a nice compromise (same size as my Hasselblad yet nearly as quiet and damped as my Mamiya RB67). Possibly the most snappy, easy-to-focus stock screen of any vintage medium format SLR camera.

I'm in Canada too . Our peso makes repairs in the US kinda pricey . Last time I heard , Ross charged around

$150 .00 US to overhaul a Kowa lens ( not too sure how long ago that was ) . Of the 4 different focal lengths I've

played with, they were all very similar in operation and so I'm assuming ( I know that's dangerous) that their

CLA costs might be similar . He's easy enough to talk with on the phone . Good luck , and on another note , crap ,

am I ever jealous :) . Peter

Thank-you Peter. I do have US calling so plan to call him once I get my first roll of film back. It will tell me where I am at. Went out today and shot a half roll, will finish it in the morning, and mail it in.

It is certainly nice and wide! Similar view to my 17 TS-E held vertically. Having shot with it this morning in the real world, I am finding that I really don't want to shoot film for the sake of shooting film, and since it is similar to my 17, I doubt I will keep it. I would love to have known about, and owned, this Kowa Six and 35mm twenty years ago!

I removed the finder screen from the Six and held it at the correct distance from my 17mm, and oh boy that is the image view I do want to create. I think the 17 covers more than the 67mm dia. circle Canon says. I am getting close to getting the 17 mounted to a shutter and 6x6 body, so that is now my primary focus. About 11mm equivalent without having to shift/stitch.

It will take a few weeks to get this film back from the Kowa, but hopefully I will have something I can post.

P.S. The Kowa did that ill fated thing where it jammed in mid wind this morning. Thankfully a good bang from the palm of my hand knocked it free. Before I had even put film in I must have triggered the shutter 50 times with no problem. Adding film must create tension to the mechanics somehow. Hoping it is not a major issue!

Edited by John Crowe

Thank you Peter. It locked up again yesterday. Going to the basement now, in the dark, to remove the lens to see if that frees it up. Not many visible screws on this camera, where do I start taking it apart? I have done extensive research on Kowa but no repair instructions.

Okay, had to get a knife to release the pin to release the lens. Recocked lens no problem. Body would not crank, so I sacrificed the frame of film and used a screwdriver to re-cock body by turning mechanism in the mount. That is very tight! Did not look like mirror was all the way down but must have been, cause the viewfinder is correct.

Next time sun comes out I will see if I can finish the roll of film.

Finally finished the roll. The camera worked fine for the last few shots. The trick seems to be to leave the camera uncocked overnight and while not in use. After 30 years of film photography this is counter intuitive and just plain heresy, but I guess it is what it is.

Any info on how to start taking the body apart for a clean and lube would be greatly appreiciated. Thanks, John.

On the bottom of the camera body is a plate that is the tripod mount . That piece is held in place with 4 small screws .

If you remove the plate you'll see a spring wound around a shaft . That assembly is basically responsible for the shutter

operation after it's been fired (the spring in the camera lens is only strong enough to operate the shutter when it's off the

body , and even then it seldom gets it to finish the task without some help from your finger) . There's also a gear on this

same shaft that transmits this force through to the plate in the body ( where the lens mounts and the lens pins fit into)

that is acted upon for the shutter cocking and release . You might want to try some brake cleaner spray at the shafts pivot

pin and around the gear . Hold it such a fashion that the spray and debris run down and out the bottom . A small touch

of light lube ( after it's dried , it may take a few applications) at the shaft pivot points and on the gear . This is an easy

start without going into the body . Hope this helps and is kinda clear :) . Peter