mummers parade pictures

deadtree02

<p>Yeah, I had to look it up, too-- but I seemed to remember hearing something about a goofy parade with a name like that, so it didn't seem all that weird. For some reason, I thought it was in London. <br /><br />So, now I had to look up Momo. Best answer I could find-- a sort of diminutive of Moron!</p>

<p>I don't get any sense of what it was like to be there from most of those photos. They look like fairly typical safely in the crowd shots, and could as easily be photos of any early spring Mardi Gras parade anywhere in the U.S. I know Philadelphia has its own unique vibe, which I'd like to see more of - like <a href="/photo/17645787">this photo of the doggies in costume</a>, which was pretty cute and up close. Take a look at <a href="http://zoestrauss.blogspot.com/2011/01/are-we-not-drawn-onward.html">Zoe Strauss's 2011 Mummer's Parade photos</a>. I get more of a sense of the flavor of the place and the eccentricities of the participants from Zoe's photos.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that with parades the participants put a lot of effort into their costumes and accoutrements. They won't mind a bit if you get closer and more personal. They'll probably appreciate your taking the effort.</p>

• 1 month later...