Mounting film as slide

Hi everyone,

Just came back from travel with my first set of colour slides and was wonderin

if anyone knows a good reference for mounting the films as slides (medium format

though it probably doesn't matter)... wouldn't want to ruin the films by

mismanipulation!

Thanks in advance.

JB.

MF actually does make a little difference as there is not the perforated edges to grab with tweasers! Some thin cotton gloves (as the kind worn by snooker officials) work well for me in preventing fingerprints.

In this digital age, it is worth considering sleeving rather than mounting your slides, as the heat of projection damages your transparencies, and they will have to come out of the mount to be acurately scanned anyway (otherwise there is still significant curvature of the transparency within a well mounted slide).

"as the heat of projection damages your transparencies,"

You would have to project your slides quite a bit for this to be a factor. The only instance wherer this may be a concern is someone who uses their slides for a presentation that is given on a regular basis for years, in which case it would be wise to use dupes for the presentation. Most halfway decent modern projectors run pretty cool and its no more damaging than making the occasional print under an enlarger lamp. The issue of scannning is a valid one however. I would scan any possible "keepers" before mounting them. You can always do this later on but it can be a hassle.

<p>Well, if you check <a href="http://www.wilhelm-research.com/book_toc.html">the Wilhelm book</a>, you find that it's not necessarily the heat, it's the light itself. And slides fade within a few hours of total projection time, so it is a concern.

<p>I found some nice slide pages that fit a whole sleeved roll of 6x7 on a single page. That works for me, although I'm still fond of 35mm mounted slides.