Mosler 35mm, VX & New Brew

<p>I bought this lens recently. It is new [unused] old stock. Branded <strong>Mosler</strong>, though made in Japan. Looks compact and is old fashioned, only stop down, not even pre-set. It resembles the old Meyer Lydith 30mm, a lot.<br />I used my old Exakta VX to suit the lens and walked around to make some pictures at random.<br>

A major change this time is that my brew is new. I bought X-ray developer from a different source this time, made in Nasik, Maharashtra near Bombay. It is branded “<strong>Premium</strong>” and sold by Allied Photographics; they used to sell Agfa products and Pentax cameras in the 1970s and 1980s. Now they are into X-ray films and chemicals, as it is a large expanding market. I am not sure if this is related to the “Premium” made in the US by Brown’s Medical Imaging. I used <strong>ORWO</strong> UN54 for this effort. Here are some samples from today's walk.<br /><br /></p><div>00bPkw-523393584.jpg.384cddee68d58a1464c3fc54f9298fa7.jpg</div>

<p>This is an early, detachable WL Finder. The knife edge like thing hinged to the top cover plunges in to stop the shutter, much like in the older Kine Exaktas. One has to open the Finder in order fire the shutter. Later VX models had a rotating cover that went over the shutter button; that had to be set manually.</p><div>00bPlC-523397584.jpg.a3b95b69ece9e93d42dbd8723c9a7f8c.jpg</div>

<p>This is a family run store. It has expanded to more than twice the size in recent months. Has a new sign board that says "Super Market". Family run businesses are doing well despite competition from the big time Super Markets. Customers like the personal touch and the chat session with the store keepers. Ah yes! the store keeper family speaks about 5 languages; keeps everyone happy.</p><div>00bPlg-523409584.jpg.60f3c7b9c8ac77886fe618c2fcca4345.jpg</div>

<p>This is becoming a national problem. Per health official reports the heart disease is on the increase. Diabetes is rampant. In the 1940s the life expectancy was only 32. Today it has increased to 67. I believe the healthy habits and conditions have not kept pace, especially in the urban areas.<br>

That brings me to the end of this walk. I like this lens, simple to operate and produces crisp pictures. I used apertures from F/4 to F/11.<br>

The new brew seems to yield deeper tones and a slightly higher [than the older one] contrast, too. Shall try and improve some. Would appreciate your comments. Thanks for viewing. SP</p>

<p>Great find, Subbarayan. And as always, an interesting look at your part of the world. You photos and descriptions are the next best thing to being there. I've been looking forward to seeing some of your photos again so I'm glad you posted. <br>

I did notice the slightly higher contrasts as you noted. With your skill I'm sure you will fine tune this new "brew" to your liking quite soon. Thanks for posting.</p>

<p>Quite uncanny, <strong>SP</strong>. Until a week ago I'd never heard of a Mosler lens, yet tonight I'm just waiting to receive a pre-set 35mm Mosler Photoguard f/2.8 in Exakta mount...Thought I might plug it into an Exa and do a few shots for the Forum... The few details I can discover about the lens suggest that the quality was very high, and your photographs suggest that this might well be the case. The graduation of tones is very good in the images, and I really enjoy your commentary and your portrayal of a vibrant society. Fine images of the old Exakta, too. I'm really looking forward to playing with a Mosler lens, now! Thanks for the post.</p>

<p>Really nice pictures to go with the account of the developing local economy. I love the feeling of light you get with your film and processing.</p>

<p>I started out picking up the Exaktas almost by accident, since I was more interested in KW and Zeiss than Ihagee, but the more I play with them, the better I like them. Interesting lens but it seems to do good things.</p>

<p>Great to hear from you.</p>

<p>Thanks <strong>Rod; </strong>yes the Exaktas keep growing on you [me, at least]. Recently I acquired an old Kine Exakta and brought it back to life part by part. I should post some soon with that. <strong>Mike, </strong>the new brew is based on HQ [for developer] and Potassium Hydroxide [for accelerator]. I modified the X-ray chemicals to suit regular film, by bringing down the pH value to around 8.5 [measured by my digital pH meter]. Added common salt to about 30 gms per litre as suggested by <strong>Steve Anchell</strong>. Seems to work well. <strong>Rick, </strong>that is a coincidence, reminds me of Carl Yung's <strong>Synchronicity. </strong>Yes, I think that it is a good lens. I find that the old-fashioned simple stop-down lenses are more reliable and more focused on optical quality. <strong>Ralf J, </strong>I also thought that the tonal range was wide with this brew. Thanks everyone. SP</p>

<p>Thanks <strong>JDM; </strong>the morning Sun of the Southern Solstice is a real bonus for the camera as well as the skin. The walks are enjoyable too.<br>

"I started out picking up the Exaktas almost by accident...". Haha! me too! I was struggling with a Canon SLR in 1969 that I bought in Detroit Camera. I did not know then that it was an elitist shop that catered to mainly Doctors and the like who bought cameras at exaggerated prices, as advised by their tax accountants! Then I went to Lou Ramsey's shop to have it repaired at a reasonable price. The salesman there suggested that I buy an Exakta and get some Zeiss lenses. He also sold me an Exakta VX IIB for about $20 and suggested that I send it to Seymour. Seymour rebuilt that and made it like new for another $20. That is how I got on to the Exaktas. The Canon cost me over $125 and did not work even for a few weeks. sp.</p>

<p>Always late to the party.. Congrats on your new "brew" I figured you already had adjusted some things with the mix. I thought you other home breq was wide in tonal range.. your bufferring here as worked perfectly and the high contrast Xray film seems quite tamed. As many mentioned the comments to your photos and your region are well written and the perfect accompaniment to the photos. I will feel I know the place when I come to visit. I too have never heard of Mosler lenses but like you noted when they are stop down only the glass the optics all that moer important. Great post!! <br>

Ohh I came to Exacta when the local shop was sellling a complete kit in early 1990. I recognized this name Exacta only vaguely. THe 3 Zeiss lenses turned me on more back then. So he cut a good price for the complete kit... maybe USD 125,00 I really don't remember. Varex IIa, 35mm 2.8 Flektagon, 50mm 2.0 Plancolar, 120mm 2.8 Biometar. I would love to report this was great and everything workedperfectly etc and initially so was my impression but pretty much every piece eventually had to be repaired in one form or another. Anyway!! I still love Exactas. I came into an Exa w/a 50mm Tessar as agift so I'm well set in this genre! </p>

<p> </p>