More protests

varjag

<p>A few more photos from street protests in Minsk, Belarus.

<p>This one took place last Friday, October 22nd. By this time the

protest largely lost its momentum, with about 100-120 most dedicated

but not yet arrested activists attending.<div>009vve-20216784.JPG.c28d602c2fe2adcc13c46c2b7e19df5f.JPG</div>

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grant . , oct 29, 2004; 12:57 a.m.<br>

> are you all on crack....these pix suck....<br>

<br>

Technically they are lacking, esthetically they are not pretty, but journalistically they are very interesting. This is what photojournalism is about : it is the capturing of the moment that counts.<br>

<br>

In case you did not know, the situation in Belarus is such that protests like that are actually very daring. The protesters are showing much courage by just showing up and peacefully holding their signs. Harrassment by the police is common and the consequences for the demonstrators are generally graver than the usual western fare.

I think both series are very powerful, and you should be proud of

documenting the dissatisfaction with the rotten regime of Lukashenko.

It's a dangerous task and to go out there and get a whole series of

powerful shots is great. Shooting at night is also hard.

The picture of the old man and his worried/angsty look mixed with

a clear i-will-not-surrender attitude is the essence of

photojournalism. You were there at the right time and got that

look, and that picture is more powerful than lots of page seven

articles quoting number of demonstrators.

Good show :-)

<p>Thanks to everyone for the comments.

<p>Bueh, no I didn't use a tripod. At the moment I had no suitable film and only a Canon Powershot A60 (p&s digital camera) was available. All shots were done handheld at ISO 200 (ISO 400 is unacceptably noisy with that kind of cam), the exposure varied between 1/3 and 1/10th of a second. To get more acceptable photos the shooting was done in serial ('continuous') mode. Color balance was the biggest problem: the scene was lit with these nasty mercury lamps and huge color LED display nearby showing flashy ads.

<p>Barry, Alex, Chris, Tom, Graham: thanks. I'm new into documentary and there are still many things I have to learn; this was indeed a good opportunity to practice.

<p>Grant, I can come up with photos that most people find aesthetically pleasant: check out my PN portfolio. Shooting protests however has its own complications; one have not only find an interesting event and compose, but do it fast while trying not to lose the camera.

<p>Jean-Marc and Stig: you're correct in your description of the situation here. Fortunately I missed the 'smash-a-camera' protest day here; an AP photog and a few others were beaten and detained back then, with their equipment damaged. The person on the printout (at the last shot) has gotten that day into a hospital with broken ribs, concussion and damaged kidneys.

There's not much composition in these shots and the photo depends, for the most part, on the words in the signs. The people are more interesting to me. I wouldn't loose the signs but I'd think about getting people first and signs as context. The most powerful one for me is #3 except for that damn white light. Hold your finger over that and see if the pic is not stronger for you. That said, I found this series compelling. I am very interested in this story and I knew nothing before you showed me. That is a major accomplishment for a photo. I have deep respect for the courage of these protesters and you as well. Keep shooting.

Thanks to Eugene's photographs I checked out Belarus on Amnesty International's website. This is from their latest annual report (2004) which covers Jan. to Dec. 2003:

'Investigations into a number of high-profile "disappearances? were halted without adequate explanation. The authorities closed down human rights organizations and other non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and suspended several privately owned newspapers. The independent trade union movement was targeted and its leaders were imprisoned. Numerous protesters were detained for non-violent opposition activities. There remained several long-term prisoners of conscience. Domestic violence was widespread. The courts continued to pass death sentences.'

Something indeed does "suck" in Belarus, but not Eugene's photographs.

Eugene, please take care of yourself.