MONOBALL, big ball head

marco_p1

Hello, I have found a used big ball head at a reasonable price. I could not see

the name of the maker, only the writing MONOBALL and made in germany. I have

found an image on the net of a very similar ball head, only the handle is

different. It appears to be quite old, maybe 20 yrs, and the operation is not

smooth. I wonder if this thing is still worth buying and if it makes sense to

try to lubrificate it, and what could I use. Thank you for sharing your

thoughts. Marco<div>00M1GL-37668084.jpg.f67a84a81c44a3cebda45935368cbcaa.jpg</div>

Yes, it does look like an early A-Swiss. Made in Germany, though? Maybe a Linhof? In any case, if the price is right and it's a size that works for you, then I would buy it. You can probably back out the locking knob , clean the cavity, and re-grease the threads. There are a few different thin lubricants that I use on my guns, that I also use on my ball head. Just to displace moisture, more than anything else. As well engineered as this head looks, I can't imagine that a simple cleaning won't fix it. Good luck.

Thjat isthe origianl Arca-Swiss Monoball. It predates the Arca-Swiss Monoball B series and uses a spherical ball not the B series elliptical ball. This is the ball that Foba, Graf, and Inka "modeled" theirs on. It appears that the previous owner modified it with an early Really Right Stuff or Kirk locking knob and possibly the clamp as well.

Lubricating with Vaseline is a very bad idea unless you like inventing a grit magnet.

'Lubricating with Vaseline is a very bad idea unless you like inventing a grit magnet'

'As Ellis says, don't even think about petroleum jelly'

Have either of you guys ever tried it? or are you just voicing your own perceived biases?

I have used this method to lubricate heads for well over 20 years at least one of my heads has been in constant use for all that time, being re-lubed about every 1 to 2 years (they only require a wipe in between). I have NEVER had a single problem!

A large percentage of my photography is on or around the extensive sandy beaches of Devon and Cornwall; my local 'patch' is Braunton Burrows NNR - if you want a sandier location you would need to visit the Sahara!

Please stick to what you KNOW guys.