Monday in Nature, January 1, 2018

Discussion in 'Nature' started by sallymack, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starting off the new year with a red-shouldered hawk. PN-hawk-8406.jpg

2. This guy was in my Austin Texas backyard on New Years Eve Nature Monday 1-1-2018.jpg

3. Happy New Year, all of you! I plan to start it off right: I'll be headed out the door with camera in hand as soon as it gets light.

Meanwhile, I finally made a wildlife photo a couple of days ago for which the macro lens was actually an appropriate choice. This little guy is one of the most toxic critters in California, all due to an arms-race between rough-skinned newts (Taricha granulosa) and garter snakes, which are the only predator that can tolerate the toxin found in the newts’ skins. Garter snakes evolve increased resistance to the toxins at about the same rate as the newts evolve increased toxicity for protection against the garter snakes. The net result is a ridiculously toxic newt, actually capable of killing people. So don’t go around licking newts. [As for scale, this one would be about 15 cm long from nose to uncoiled tail tip. Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park]

D04-_MG_8742-Edit.jpg

4. Happy New Year! One of the more widely distributed birds in the world, the barn swallow. This one is here in Uruguay. I'm glad this hard-working little bird, it's other swallow cousins, and assorted bats are here. Long tailed swallow coming at ya.jpg

5. This photo is from our trip to Florida last March.

I am trying to channel the warmth... here in southwestern NH it is still -4 degrees F at 10:15 AM, the low last night was -10. The temperature has been hanging around zero for over a week.

Enough griping, here is the photo:

_DSC9676.jpg

--- Frank (www.gorga.org/blog)

6. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Wood duck, near Sacramento, California.

_5007714.jpg

7. Happy New Year to all!
    Nikon_18_01.jpg
    May the light be with us!​

8. View of the frozen Hudson river.

Hudson River 01 2013-1.jpg

9. Family of black-tail deer DSC_0062_crop_irfansharpadj_resize.jpg

10. For all of you who - like me - haven't seen the freezing point in a week (and likely won't for at least another week), here is Western Fence Lizard from Joshua Tree National Park to make the day feel a little warmer:

165668440.56HjJWoo.DSC_4328d.jpg

11. Roger G

Roger G Roger G

I sure wish it looked like this right now - i.e. normal winter conditions at 3,000 meters in the Sandia Mountains, New Mexico, USA - but so far we have had virtually no precipitation in several months.

218A7917 mod horizontal.jpg

12. Ngorongoro Caldera
    Tanzania-Ngorngoro-Panorama.jpg

Tanzania

13. Happy new year
    6FFE4861-D047-4035-9FFB-939A75623BAB.jpeg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.