Monday in Nature, 9 July 2018

Discussion in 'Nature' started by DavidTriplett, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just returned from my sojourn in North Dakota. Discovered a red tailed hawk with babies in the nest along the highway. Here's one from that series. I expect I'll post more in future.
    Red Tail Hawk-4310a-sml.jpg

2. I think it’s a rite of passage: you get a focusing rail, and the first thing you do is find a cooperative insect (which usually means “dead”) and do a massive focus stack using all the extension tubes you have access to. In this case, 12mm + 20mm + 36mm on a 60mm macro lens. OK, so it’s trite. But dang, it’s fun.
    D05-_MG_4851-Edit-2.jpg

3. Isn't it, now?

Leslie Reid likes this.
  4. to the point of addiction!

5. Golden-Fronted Woodpecker. Nature Monday 7-9-2018.jpg

6. Recently returned from Svalbard where many amusing critters abound. Arctic terns dart about and dive for fish, a challenge to catch. I guess it's a challenge for them too, as they often leave empty-handed, or rather empty-beaked.

fishing tern.jpg

p.s. are you sure Leslie Reid's fly is real and not a sculpture with tea strainers for eyes?

7. Don't have a focusing rail - yet DSC_0247x1000h.JPG

8. Photobomb!!

[​IMG]Hummingbird Photobomb by David Stephens, on Flickr

This handsome house finch was posing nicely for his finch-on-thistle portrait, when a broad-tail hummingbird buzzed by in the background.

9. I just noted that the site allowed me to use two ! Thank you for loosening your underwear, whomever is responsible.

Mark Keefer likes this.
  10. Downy woodpecker.
    AA-Doo-Mary-Downy Woodpecker.jpg
    Nikon D300s with 500mm lens (eff 750mm). 1/1250s f/6.3 ISO 1250

11. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

12. Kenya-Treetops-nite-rhino.jpg
    Lick​

Mark Keefer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.