Melting plastic on cameras and lenses.

<p>I have two Nikon camera bodies and a Sigma lens where the plastic seems to be melting; You know, getting tacky soft. The bodies are older film bodies and the inherited lens probably older as well. Have any of you run into any problems of this nature with newer stuff, or was this just a thing that cropped up during certain years? It's too bad, as I would use the stuff except for the crap that gets on my hands from use. If this seems a recurrent problem I'll stick with metal cameras instead and they can sit on the not so fantastic plastic.</p>

<p>I had this problem, or a similar one, on a Fujica HD-S. Roughly 25 years ago. I think the camera got too much sun at some point but not sure. Subsequent to that it stickied up the inside of a classic canvas camera bag, messed up a couple of shirts, and stayed sticky at sub freezing remperatures. I replaced the camera with a Nikon ActionTouch (?), both of which where sturdy and effective weather resistant (assuming one doesn'r include melting) cameras.</p>

<p>A number of factors can contribute to the breakdown of some plastics. Besides DEET, there are hand lotions and some aerosol sprays that can degrade some plastics. So can tobacco smoke and ozone from malfunctioning electronics (or normally functioning ionic air cleaners).</p>