Mamiya 7 50mm vs. Pentax 67 SMCP 55mm?

noah

<p>I'm wondering if anyone who has used both the 50mm f/4.5 lens for the Mamiya 7 and the 55mm f/4 late-model lens for the Pentax 67 can offer any opinions regarding the two lenses?</p>

<p>I'm not asking for a system comparison as I have both cameras and I know their strengths and weaknesses. I know they're very much different animals but they both work for me in different ways. Since I went back to film early this year I've been shooting with the Mamiya 7II kit mostly, though I recently dug out my old Pentax 67 for closeups, some aerial work, etc. For the Mamiya I have the 50, 65,80 and 150mm lenses. They're all outstanding lenses and I have no complaints about their performance.</p>

<p>The 50mm has become my main lens with the 80 my secondary. The 50 is used for documentary, cityscape and environmental portraits. The 80 mostly for portraits and details. </p>

<p>The problem is that the 50mm is just a bit too wide for my taste, and the 65 is not wide enough. Something in between would be perfect, so this brings me to the question about the 55mm. I like working with the pentax system and a 55 would really be perfect for me. </p>

<p>I know the pentax 55mm is said to be one of the sharpest lenses for the 67 system. But has anyone compared it to the Mamiya 7 50mm? I'm not a technical junkie and I don't count line pairs, but I do want results that are close to what I'm getting with the Mamiya lens. Is the pentax usable wide-open? Will I have more distortion?</p>

<p>I scan my color negs and make large (30x40 and 40x50in.) exhibition prints, so quality is a concern. Of course I can get a decent price on the Pentax lens and sell it if it doesn't work, but I was hoping for some advice before spending the time and money.</p>

<p>I'd very much appreciate any thoughts...</p>

Noah,

I can't give you a direct comparison as I've never used the Mamiya 50. However, I recall that Gene Crumpler tested the

Pentax 55 (latest incarnation, SMC Pentax 67) and it had incredible resolution with very little difference in performance from

f/4-22, making it suitable for wide open use.

My only concern would be sample variation, which I've experienced with a couple of 67 lenses. My advice would be to buy

the SMC Pentax 55 from KEH (they're cheap), and test it. A good copy should be close in performance to the Mamiya 50. If

it doesn't give you the quality you're looking for, return it.They give you a 14 day trial.

I don't believe the Pentax has excessive distortion, but any almost any WA for an SLR will have more than one designed for

a rangefinder

<p>I have seen several prints from the M7 with various lenses and must say they are amazing. The P67 lenses from the early days could not compete with them. However the most recent designs from Pentax are quite good. I have not used the M7 50mm as I don't own that camera, however I have used the 55 Pentax and can say that it is in the top tier of the 30+ lenses in the system. Is it the best of the lineup? Hard to say. Is it a contender? yes! Of the wide lenses for the P67, three stand out as being very sharp; 55mm latest, 75mm f/4.5 and the 55-100 zoom. They are all capable of 30x40 inch prints. I don't have any larger than that, so I can't comment on 40x50. Can they match the 50mm in sharpness? I feel they will be similar. The 55 is a low distortion lens but not as low as the "near zero" of the 50mm.</p>

<p>Have you tried ever so slightly cropping from the Mamiya 50mm? The difference between 50 and 55mm is very small, and it would be easy to approximate by just making a slight crop from the frame. 6x7 has plenty of resolution to spare, even when producing very large prints like 40x50s. My main concern for print quality at that size would be camera shake and shutter vibration. Even if the Pentax 55mm is superb, you are more likely to get consistently sharp 40x50's from the Mamiya since it is lighter and easier to handle, and has a low vibration leaf shutter without mirror-slap. Unless you use a heavy tripod and pre-release the mirror on the Pentax, you are not going to get a similar performance. Furthermore, you would be lugging along a whole separate kit for just an extra lens. </p>

<p>I use the Mamiya 7II, but I also run a custom printing lab. I print regularly in the sizes you mention, and usually people's problems are more from their technique than their lenses (at least, assuming they are using good professional systems like both the mamiya and pentax). Printing wall-sized means you are best off with a cable release and tripod. If that is not possible or does not mesh with your style of photography, it is best to find a camera that handles easily (all day...) and has low vibration. Then lenses that are good wide open help so that you can keep your shutter speed up. It's usually better to shoot at f/4 at 1/60th than f/5.6 at 1/30th for example... The Mamiya wins in this case I think -- I do not have the pentax, but in comparing to Hasselblad and Rollei 6000 series, the lower bulk and lack of a mirror has led to much sharper handheld results for me from the Mamiya. I would guess that you would find the same...so just keep what you have and try making a small crop! Even if you use the Pentax with optimal technique, it is unlikely to be hands-down better than the Mamiya 50mm...one of the best 50mm lenses for any medium format system...and a lens you already have! </p>

<p>Thanks everyone. </p>

<p>The pentax sounds like a great lens but I think I'll take Stuart's advice for now and stick with what I've got. I don't like to crop however I suppose the difference between the 50 and 55mm lenses is fairly small. I guess some of my bias against superwide lenses comes from my prior experience with 35mm slr lenses. But the Mamiya 50mm exhibits very few bad habits common to wide slr lenses and has very low (if any) distortion despite it's wide view. I don't like exaggerated perspective or dramatic near-far compositions, but if I avoid that type of composition the lens really doesn't look like a superwide.</p>

<p>I should also give my Mamiya 65mm more of a chance. I sort of fell into a routine of shooting with the two lenses (50 + 80), but maybe the intermediate view would work sometimes, and I could save the 50 for when I'm in a really tight spot. The lenses are relatively small and light so carrying another isn't a big deal. </p>

<p>It sure is nice traveling with a tiny tripod, and that wouldn't cut it with the P67...</p>

• 2 weeks later...