Making a lens pouch

david_gardner6

<p>I've been trying to find someone who can make lens pouches to my specs, but I'm not having any luck. I started with upholsterers, but in my neck of the woods they claim to all be heavily booked until 2016. The upholsters suggested shoe repair shops, but they're not interested. One of them turned me on to a local woman who makes handbags, but she says she doesn't have the right equipment.<br>

Any ideas?</p>

<p>I've made my own for years, but mine are all fabric, as leather tends to trap and retain moisture. You might see if there is a local crafting club. I got some interesting leads when I went to a Tandy leather store to buy some leather for straps. </p>

<p>I don't know where you are, or what your specs include, but there is an outfit near here, called Vermont Canvas Products, specializing in Cordura, which I'm pretty sure will make custom bags, though I'm not sure what materials they work with, or whether they will work in material you provide. It's a small operation run by crafts people, though, so I think you can discuss it. The place is called Vermont Canvas Products, in Rutland, Vermont, and the number is 802-773-7311. They don't appear to have their own web site.</p>

I went to a local dive shop, got some scrap neoprene 1/8" to 1/4" thick double coated with nylon fabric. Free.

I sewed it into tubes to fit a variety of lenses from 50mm f/1.8 to 70-210mm f/2.8. I left the tubes long so that I could

simply fold over to close. Could Velcro I suppose but I ran out of motivation. They're not pretty but work great.

I used an shoemaker/leather workers awl.

Saved a bundle.

Test

<p>I've made some mini cases and bags (for photography and/or other tools and purposes) out of 1000 denier Codura nylon fabric. The end results are super strong & functional but ugly; I'm a poor seamstress. Fairly easy to sew with, think of the stuff that some bags and luggage is covered with. An alternate product is ballistic nylon.</p>

<p>One can find these at good fabric stores or on Amazon for anywhere from $7 - $14 / yard (60" wide). Comes in colors too. All one needs is time, patience and some skill (well, I have 2 out of 3 ... :o)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You can usually pick up a used working sewing machine in charity shops for $25 or less. Learning how to use it is another issue....it took me a while, as I no longer had anybody to teach me, but I persevered and now also alter clothes as required. It sounds like either manual stitching with an embroidery needle or awl in heavier fabric is your best choice. Just remember that you invert the bags to sew them, so they look nice on the outside; also if you are putting in a drawstring, it should be the first thing you sew with the inverted pouch. Another idea for you which I've used for lens and camera "sleeves" is old heavy duty hiking socks. You merely determine the needed length, invert them and sew across them before cutting the excess off...the nice thing is they already have elastic in the tops, and most are really well padded. Look like Hell, but very functional and cheap.</p>

<p>David, have you tried looking on Etsy? Many crafters there are extremely talented and will take custom orders. I don't know if my friend Karen Allen can work with the kind of fabric you'd like, but do ask her (mention that I suggested you contact her). Karen is very clever and has designed pouches for other objects.</p>

<p><a href="https://www.etsy.com/shop/Allenx2PhotoandCraft">https://www.etsy.com/shop/Allenx2PhotoandCraft</a></p>

<p> </p>