Macro from a distance.

bradley_davis

<p>Are there lenses that allow photographers to take macro shots from a distance? From what I have read, most macro shots are taken with the lens close to the subject but when outdoors, I don't always have the luxury of getting up close.</p>

<p>For reference, I have the Cannon XSi.</p>

<p>Thank you for any input.</p>

<p>The short answer is "yes." <br /><br />The more useful answer will depend on what you mean by "distance," how large a subject you're talking about. <br /><br />For example, some people use macro lenses to shoot plates of food. For that, I might use a 60mm macro lens from a few feet back. Other people will consider a distance of a foot to be quite a ways back (from a very small spider). So, do tell! Are we photographing crocodile teeth (in a live crocodile), or bumble bees?</p>

<p>Well, macro from a distance is telephoto. </p>

<p>It actually depends on what you call "macro", and what you mean by "distance". If you mean 1:1, then you can get true macro lenses up to about 180mm (I'm just not aware of any longer 1:1 lenses). The longer focal length allows more lens to subject distance, but it is not really very far - still measured in centimeters.</p>

<p>Lots of telephoto lenses have a "macro" stamped on them somewhere, but seldom can manage any closer than 1:4.</p>

<p>Hi Bradley,</p>

<p>There are a couple of macro lenses that have 150mm to 180mm focal lengths. I've used the 150 Sigma and it is excellent and I've seen the results of the 180mm Macro, very good, indeed. Remember that the DOF is reduced unless you can stop down a great deal and keet the exposure by increasing the lighting.</p>

<p>However if you want to take close ups from quite a distance, you will need to couple a fine quality Schmidt telescope (Celsetron or Meade) with a technique called "Eye Piece Projection". In this case an eyepiece is inserted between the telescope and the camera body and some amazing results can result. I've made 1:1 close ups this way at 146 feet, at 45 feet, 30 feet, and 15 feet. There is one shortcoming with this technique, that is, some loss of resolution. Since this is a compounded optical system, the image simply enlarges without any increase in detail, however in most cases an adequate amount of detail is preserved.</p>

<p>Lynn</p>

<p>I'll be honest, I wish I could be more specific with my needs but I just don't really know yet. I am still experimenting and don't know my specific needs. I would like to take 1:1 pictures of insects and the such, but I think my biggest passion is for wildlife (not the creepy-crawly kind). I'd like great close-up shots of birds and the such. However, If I want to get really up close and personal and fill my frame with a bird's eye, for example, what kind of lens do I need?</p>

<p>I'm sorry if I am being vague, I am still very uch a novice trying to find my niche.</p>

<p>Don't forget; your camera will provide a lot of cropping possibilities for what you're looking for. This was taken at about 15 ft. (friendly pelican!) with the same 70-300 lens at 300mm, and cropped about 56%. at 100% crop you mainly will only see the eye and may have to guess at the bird's specie. But it gives you more range to move back for skittish wildlife.</p>

<p>Edit: these were taken on a 10MP 40D.</p><div>00T5OA-125553584.jpg.42e167a4936af18023bdc19020fb3af7.jpg</div>

<p>I do a lot of macro photography with a 300 mm lens and extension tubes to allow the lens to focus closer than it does normally. It works quite well and gives great working distance. I also have macro lens but like the additional working distance the 300 gives.</p>

<p>A telephoto lens, with the aperture wide open, can yield a closeup that may seem like a macro shot to the average viewer. In order for it to be "macro" per se, you will want a magnification of greater than 1X. In order to get that magnification, most of the time you will have to get closer. </p>

<p>If the magnification increase is important to you, the answer is, No. If you just want a closeup, use telephoto. </p>

"Are there lenses that allow photographers to take macro shots from a distance? ... For reference, I have the Cannon XSi"<P>

A 1:1 macro means that a one inch object will be one inch on the sensor (or film frame). Make an 8x10 inch photo from that and the object will be eight inches on the photo. As said, the longer the focal length of the <I>macro</I> lens the further away you can be. You still have to be rather close for macro shots. With a 200mm macro lens you would still have to be about 20 inches from the object. <P>

<P>You need telephoto for birds and such but you still have to get close. With a 400mm telephoto lens, to get a frame filling shot of a 6 inch bird, you would have to be about 10 feet away.

James G. Dainis

<p>Here's another perspective. Macro lenses are also great for landscapes where you don't need the zoom capability. The sharpness of good macro lenses is amazing. I am not thinking of macro shots here, rather landscapes or other images taken using the macro lens more as a short or medium telephoto.</p>