Loading the M4

<p>Take the cartridge, pull out 10cm of film, fold the last 1 cm back, insert the cartridge and film in the camera, guide with your fingers the film, so that it is placed on the advance dents and the leader is inserted in the middle of the advance bar. Close the back door, shoot a frame, wind, look inside the camera to see if the film is advancing ok, if yes, close the base plate, shoot another frame, advance, tighten the film slightly with the rewind knob, shoot another frame, and while you advance watch the rewind knob. If it is turning, then you are done, if not, open the base plate and start the whole sequence again. Hint: if you get sick of it, sell the M4 and buy the Zeiss Ikon.</p>

<p>If you get sick of it, borrow a Leica III and load a few rolls into that. Then when you go back to the M4 you'll believe that the M4 is really easy to load. The Leica M4, M5, M6, M7, M2-R, and KS15-4 all have the "easy load" mod. M3's and regular M2's (and presumably M1s) are a little harder but not much. Leica III's require a specially cut leader and a lot more patience.</p>

<p>Just place the end of the film between two of the slots on the take-up spool, lift up the back door and ensure that one of the holes on the film is caught by the sprocket, replace the bottom, then wind the film and trip the shutter twice. You should notice the rewind knob turning during the second film advance. It's really not very complicated.</p>

<p>Make sure the leader is inserted into the takeup spool far enough (more than half-way). Then make sure the sprocket holes are engaged with the sprocket. New film tends to lift up a bit, so it helps to hold the film against the sprocket with one finger as you close the back (between the film gate and the sprocket).</p>

<p>Unlike "lesser" cameras, a Leica (and Nikon F5) pulls the film with the sprocket. The takeup spool simply takes up. If the film slips on the sprocket, the leader will pull out of the takeup spool and you'll wind up shooting blanks.</p>

<p>If you are not confident in loading a screw mount Leica in the following manner, DON'T DO IT. The late Steve Grimes showed a friend of mine how to load a Leica without trimming the leader. Remove the lens, load the film, place shutter on Bulb or Time depending on the model LTM Leica you have. Adjust the film with you finger so it sits centered in the film gate and you're good to go. WARNING: DON'T LET THE SHUTTER CLOSE while performing this manuever. It won't hurt your finger but puts a lot of strain on the shutter cloth and tapes! I've used this method for several years and only messed it up once. I was using a non Leica take up spool and the film came off but the sprockets drove the film into the shutter drum....not good, camera is OK now thanks to a CLA by my repair person, Youxin Ye of Canton, MA. PS: we were unable to save the exposed film (15 or so unimportant images, I was testing the camera, having just purchased it a few weeks before), it's an early 1932 Black model II with 11 o'clock Nickle Elmar lacking serial number and displaying NO HAZE!</p>

<p>First of all, read the instruction book.<br>

Soon you will stop watching the take-up spool (to assure yourself of its backward rotation when the film is advanced). Eventually you will load a roll incorrectly and it will not advance, which you will not notice until the film counter maxes and a light bulb goes off in your brain. With any sort of luck it will NOT include the greatest image you have ever taken (50-50 chance). You will curse and possibly weep -- at that point you will at last have become a REAL Leica photographer, (and will never forget to watch for take-up knob rotation the rest of your life, not even on a digital camera).</p>

<p>We still don't know what Jim was going to ask....! The only online M4 manual I can find is in Spanish, but I can't see that the M6 is any different. One of the advertisements from the 60s in one of the annual photographic compilations showed an M4 being loaded with gloved hands, the sort of warm gloves that have the seams sewn into two pleats along the side of each finger. I have had only one misload doing it by the book, missing a great shot, and have returned to ensuring sprocket engagement before closing the back and putting on the baseplate. </p>