Loading 35mm Efke & Rollei Infrared Films

curtis_lowe

I have used many rolls of Efke & Rollei Infrared films in 120 without loading in darkness and they have been fine.

I developed a roll of Efke 35mm today but the first 5 or 6 frames have been fogged which I guess is due to loading it

with only my back to the sun.

So my question is will 35mm Rollei IR also fog if not loaded in darkness? Its not as sensitive as the Efke film so I

would like to hear if anyone has been successful loading this film outdoors.

You can load any 120 film, even IR film, in broad daylight because it has the paper backing to protect it, while certain

35mm IR films have to loaded in subdued light or total darkness due to reasons like lack of an anti-halation layer to prevent

the light from striking the leader tongue and traveling down the film like fire traveling down a gas trail. There are also certain

non-IR 35mm films that have to be loaded in subdued light, like Rollei ATP 1.1

Light can leak around the edges of medium format film. There are occasions when the width of the film and paper backing do not match precisely. Also, if the spooled film loosens even slightly there's a risk of light leaking. I have plenty of rolls of Tri-X, TMX, HP5+ and other films on 120 where very slight light leaks fogged the unexposed margins on a few frames, always because I was loading on the run while trying to block the sun with my body.

I only use the Efke and Rollei IR films in 120 so I can not comment on the 35 stuff, but I always load it in very subdued

light due to the reasons that Lex has mentioned. I figure better safe than sorry. This is why a black t-shirt under a dark

hoodie can be a useful thing in the field if you don't want to deal with a changing bag.

• 6 months later...

<p>does anyone know whether this film (Rollei IR) can be scanned by airport X-rays?<br>

I'll be traveling soon, and hoped to bring along some IR films in both 35 and 120. I recall that HIE could not be x-ray'd ever ...and of course couldn't be exposed to any light outside the camera. </p>

<p>by the by, per the original thread: I've found a happy place in using this film:<br>

- in my rangefinder cameras (retain normal composing/focusing with the IR filter on!) and<br>

- assuming an ISO of 12 (w/ R72). I've given up on hand-holding. At 25, I hoped I could still shoot this on-the-move, in hand. But it was still underexposed at least one stop. Down at ISO 12, it's tripod work only.</p>