Lime light meter

tbarrent

This is interesting in my opinion, a digital lightmeter that looks alot like the hot shoe mounted ones leica and voightlander made in the 1960s.

Its an interesting concept, the price eventually, if it got made, seems decent. But can a digital version of the analogue Sekonic light meter really survive, when for a few dollars more you can get digital that can do ambient as well

It really would help if you provided a link to what you're referring to.

My immediate reaction is: Yet another unnecessary Kickstarter, bandwagon-jumping, one-person's-obsession, I'll-get-someone-else-to pay-for-my-pipedream, not-properly-costed-out, project.

There must be millions of used hotshoe-mounting and period correct used light meters out there already, as well as the overpriced Voigtlander VC meter. So what can this Kickstarter thing offer as a USP?

Slightly lower price? Maybe.

Better accuracy? Doubtful.

Faster use? Despite protests about a phone app being slower, how much time does it really save not to unlock a phone?

The fact that this meter is designed for a hotshoe is a matter of convenience only. It won't make for more accurate metering, which can be done much better by an incident meter, or one that doesn't take a wide-coverage average reading from the camera position.

My advice; save your money and use a phone app, or buy one of the plentiful used hotshoe meters already in existence.

Maybe even save your money by not wasting it on a 35mm film camera and ecologically unfriendly film? :eek:

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

Not to mention the Gossen DigiSix and Sekonic L-208, both of which can be shoe mounted, are capable of taking incident readings and cost the same or substantially less.

I'm actually looking for a new meter. I've discounted all of the shoe mount meters as incident metering is important to me, so that leaves a choice between the two mentioned above, or one of their slightly bigger brothers if I decide that I want flash metering.

Edited by steve_gallimore|1

The best seller on the Lime site might turn out to be the adapter for two accessory shoes that enables mounting an accessory finder and a shoe mount light meter at the same time. Voigtlander sold one for a while 10 or 15 years ago and they now go for a lot on eBay. For a lot of rangefinder users this would be a great convenience. The meter itself is of no interest to me--I have several other alternatives that I already own.