Light meter vs Camera meter

manjo

I was trying out my friends light meter the other day, we were trying

to shoot rowers at the lake slightly after sunrise, there was a nice

mist over the waters and lots of swans (cranes?). My camera meter (EOS

3), average metering, said f22 @ 1/125 but a hand held light meter in

reflective mode said f22 @ 1/6. Its a sektonic light meter. I was

using a 75-300 lens with a polarizer on it. My gut feeling is the

camera was correct coz it factors in the zoom, ISO (100 in my case)

and light cut by the polarizer, but am I wrong? Clearly the light

meter was way off compared to the camera meter.

Using a telephoto or a zoom lens, does reduce the viewing angle of the meter, If you use a

long enough lens it acts like a spot meter.Camera meters are very good at reading a

scene,

and giving the right exposure. Matrix metering gives extra attention to different parts of

the scene ,depending on which program you are using. A hand held meter has a fixed

angle of view ,which does not take into consideration which lens you are using. I use a

hand meter as well , but with the photo you described , I would go with the camera

reading

It looks like something is wonky with your camera. The sunny 16 rule for ISO 100 film would have you exposing at f22 @ 1/60 in full sunlight. Knock off 2 stops for a polarizer would put you at f22 @ 1/15. Knock off another 2-3 stops for reduced light shortly after sunrise would have you at f22 @ 1/2 - 1/4. The hand-held meter appears to be closer to the correct exposure. The ISO setting for the hand-held meter should be set to about 25-40 to allow for the polarizer.

Manoj;

I have 2 Sekonic meters, and depending on mode they can meter as small as 1 degree coverage. One has a zoom mode as well.

Therefore, you might have been metering a much smaller selective area with the Sekonic than with the averaging meter in the camera itself.

Consider the Sekonic to be a spot meter and then imagine the scene. You might have picked up a bright spot on the water and metered on that.

Just a thought based on my experience with my meters.

Ron Mowrey

You were probably metering 2 different fields of view, or the sekonic was pointed at something dark, like the water. The polarizer would cut 2 stops or so, that doesn't explain the difference at all... Most people who use hand-held meters use incident mode, and compare the results against an in-camera meter reading of a grey card. Or you could be precise and check both meters against a grey card at the same time in the same light.