Li-ion battery went through washing machine - is it OK?

<p>Dumb me... I carry my spare NB-4L lithium-ion batter for my Canon SD1000 in the watch pocket of my jeans and it went through the wash. Sat in the machine all night! I dried it off and put it in the camera, and it worked. But a friend told me not to try and charge it for seveal days, to let it dry out.<br>

Have I ruined it? It looks pretty well-sealed... the only possible place water could get in is around the three metal contacts, and even those look quite tightly sealed. These puppies are $62 at Best Buy - ouch!</p>

www.paulwhitingphotography.com

<p>Thats funny. I doubt, I would have tried the battery direclty on the camera. :) without a voltmeter. If it works it should work hereafter. But, may be you can take to the electronic guys and ask them to check for the voltage output. hopefully under specs. Also, in the wash it would have got some good amount of salts which is not a goodthing. see if it drawing current different than the specs. if there is something wrong, that will ruin the camera. ok. Puppy is not important. But, Mama is :) lol</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It looks pretty well-sealed... the only possible place water could get in is around the three metal contacts, and even those look quite tightly sealed.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Paul, there's a big difference between "pretty well-sealed, tightly sealed" and a gas-tight waterproof seal (which I suspect these batteries are not). I'd be willing to bet that <em>some</em> amount of water has penetrated the seams, not enough to do immediate damage, but likely enough to at least elevate the compartment's internal relative humidity level to cause potential corrosion problems. If so, the outcome when the battery is subjected to self-heating when charged should also be considered.</p>

<p>I don't know if the NB-4L contains internal electronics as Sony's InfoLithium batteries do; if so, it'll be another level of worry.</p>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...