lens filters

revolver

<p>what filters do you all use and why?<br /><br />I have a few but have not used them much with my K100D but with the new Olympus I was looking into it again.<br /><br />I mostly shoot outdoors, landscape and architecture so a polarizing filter would probably be best for my use.<br />just came across this on Amazon<br /><br /> <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Digital-Includes-Multi-Coated-UltraPro/dp/B007BCWTTA/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1376864357&sr=8-16&keywords=lens+filters+37+mm">http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Digital-Includes-Multi-Coated-UltraPro/dp/B007BCWTTA/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1376864357&sr=8-16&keywords=lens+filters+37+mm</a></p>

<p>you'll be far better off with a brand name filter such as Tiffen, B&W, or Hoya for example; preferably multi-coated.<br /> others will recommend other brands as well.<br /> do not put an inferior grade filter of any kind on a lens unless it's just for protection and will be removed just before shooting.</p>

<p>cb :-)</p>

<p>well, it's better but (1) I don't think that you'll need the warming filter and (2) they are not multi-coated and although multi-coated filters are more expensive, they are preferable.<br>

P.S. I noticed one of the comments about the circular polarizer causing some vignetting; be careful about this as you will be using it on a lens that is 14mm at the wide end so you will be vulnerable to it.<br /> cb :-)</p>

<p>Laurentiu, thanks. that helped a lot.<br /><br />I have a bunch of filters but only 2 or 3 fit on the lenses I have for the K100D ( 18-55, 18-250 and a Tamron 70-300)<br /><br />All I have is 52 MM which was probably for the kit lens that came with the camera beofre I bought the others.<br /><br />Most are skylight Hoya's. one is a<br>

Diffuser 52mm.<br>

one is a Tiffen 55mm Red #1. <br /><br />Pro 52 zero with a line through it f-dl,Tiffen 52mmcc10m with a Laser 52 mm LS-1 all three together<br>

Photocosky 1A 52MM Korean<br /><br />Quantaray 55 mmPL with a 52-55mm Reducer( I guess)<br /><br />and a Hoya 62 MM 82 A <br /><br />mostly useless other than 1 or 2 for the 18-55mm<br /><br />I think my brother may have sent me these when I got started in digital. he picks a lot of stuff up at yards sales and flea markets.<br />also I was checking the specs and not all Hoya's are multi coated. I think I'll start with the starter kit and go from there. I dont like fiddling when I am out shooting. I like just one of what I need. </p>

<p>Glad to help. For the 14-42 lens that you mentioned, I got a step-up ring to allow me to use 49mm filters of which I have a bunch (and I also have 49->52 and 52->58 stepup rings anyway). I only used a close-up lens with it (not really a filter, but anyway) - it worked pretty well. For Pentax lenses like those you listed, I used initially some UV filters for protection, but then I removed them. I use C-PLs for landscape work and I would want sometime to play with an ND, but never got the time for it.</p>