LENS ADVICE FOR UPCOMING TRIP

robert_thommes1

<p>I's like your advice as to the lenses you'd suggest for an upcoming road trip to the Oregon/Washington Pacific Coast. I'd like to get by with the least amount of gear (specifically lenses) to have the majority of my photographic bases covered. We have not been there before. For what it's worth, I currently shoot with a Canon T2i, but also have a Canon SX50HS super-zoom, and recently purchased a Canon EOS-M (with 18-55mm and 22mm lenses).<br>

On the trip home we will be stopping in Grand Tetons and Yellowstone for a couple days as well.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>The first two lenses I'd take are the 24-70mm and 70-200mm (several to choose from; I like the f/4 IS). For wider shots on a T2i (I don't know the camera, but I assume it's not full-frame), the 17-40mm might be a good choice. For Yellowstone, I'd strongly suggest video as well as stills, with a good external microphone that's protected from the wind.</p>

<p>My small, light traveling kit with my T2i is the Canon 10-22mm, 17-55mm and 55-250mm. This gets me from 10mm to 250mm (16mm to 400mm equivalent with the crop 1.6 factor) Camera body with one lens on it and the other two lenses in a teeny bag. Easily carried, don't leave it in the car ever or it will grow legs and walk away. Good luck!</p>

<p>+1 Marvin....<br>

Except you may want something a bit wider as well, in my years wandering that coast, I often found that 28mm wasn't a wide enough FOV. If you are planning on doing tide pools too, and have the time, a dedicated macro is something you may appreciate. Though the 18-270 does alright for stuff not to small (1:3.8).<br>

I would go for the 18-270, plus a 10-20/22/24... Since Yellowstone and the Tetons are on your itinerary... The 10-20/22/24 just became a 'must have' focal range.</p>

<p>Gil's kit is a good one. I have the Sigma 10-20mm, however, and like it.</p>

<p><br /> For a single lens solution I'd pack a EF-S 15-85mm IS lens. I still have the older 17-85 IS and haven't seen reason to 'upgrade' although all accounts say the 15-85 is much improved. The old one still works for me.</p>

<p>I've used the Canon 18-200 and 10-22 lenses on trips to both Europe and North America - including Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons - with great success. The 18-200 seems to get indifferent reviews, but mine is tack sharp (and if not, that's my fault!) and focuses close enough for flower etc shots. The IS is a great advantage if you're travelling light without a tripod, and not changing lenses in dusty or wet conditions is better for your sensor.<br>

However, 18 mm is often not wide enough for scenery or buildings, hence the 10-22 also gets plenty of use.<br>

Enjoy your trip!</p>

<p>Rather than worrying about a wider lens, I would suggest that you do panoramic approach to get everything into the photo you want.</p>

<p>While most people think of a panorama as a single row with multiple shots, you can easily do a panorama of a grid like 3 high x 4 wide kind of thing.</p>

<p>Just a way to save on the weight of one more lens</p>