Leicameter MC from 1958. How much longer does this thing have left?

chris_bilodeau

<p>I am shocked, impressed, and amazed that this gadget from 1958 (that came in a leather case with the M3 I just got) still briskly reacts to light. Moreover, I checked it against the meter in my M8 and they both measured exactly the same given the same light source.<br /><br />Is there plutonium in this thing?<br /><br />How long can I expect this meter to last?</p>

<p>These old meters can last practically forever, <em>on the condition that you don't use them</em>.</p>

<p>I think the lack of exposure to light keeps many of these 'going'. In my experience, built-in meters on cameras of a certain age that had been kept in a "ever-ready case" or meters in their "etui*" often work. Those carried 'naked', hardly ever.</p>

<p>YMMV</p>

<p>_________<br>

*see, the word <em>etui</em> does actually exist off the crossword page! :)</p>

<p>I've got 2 dead and one gasping for breath - it only responds to very bright light. The selenium cells theoretically can outlast most of us, but generally seem to fail within 25-30 years - especially if continuously exposed to light and humidity - which tends to increase the internal resistance. CdS cells seem to last longer, but need a battery to operate the ammeter in a light meter.</p>

<p>The voltage response to light might be uneven across the curve. I have an ancient Sekonic selenium meter that was well cared for. It is accurate at some light levels but inaccurate at others. This is a common problem with old selenium meters.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"how much longer does this thing have?" <strong><em>Chris B.</em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Apart from individuals anecdotal evidence, unless the meter had a service in the past couple of decades that entailed a replacement cell, it's already <strong>well past</strong> it's designed lifespan. Since they're no longer considered economical to professionally repair, enjoy the ride while you can...</p>

<p>I have a Weston III meter that is still accurate.<br>

A Weston V had a dead selenium cell, but Quality Light Metric put a brand new cell in, and it is very accurate.<br>

I love these older meters as it accommodates all those older aperture and shutter speeds, such as f/6.3 and 1/100.</p>

<p>Henry Scherer just overhauled my Zeiss Super Ikonta IV, and put a new selenium cell into it.<br>

I think my camera pre-dated the ASA value change. I have to set it to an ASA value 1 stop more for it to read accurately. I recall that the early ASA values had a 1 stop "safety factor" built in, and later the film manufacturers eliminated that safety factor for a true ASA speed.</p>

<p>So, some repairers still have a supply of selenium cells. However, as no new ones are currently being produced. Once they are gone - they are gone.</p>

<p><em>I love these older meters as it accommodates all those older aperture and shutter speeds, such as f/6.3 and 1/100.</em><br>

I agree. Especially with cameras & lenses using old speed and apertures, like TM Leicas. Not that this is a problem in this case <br>

<em>I would love to get a new cell in this meter soon (even though it works now). </em></p>

<p>Why? Wouldn't it be better to nurse the cell you have. It might last years.<br>

<em>I guess I could look for an MR version.</em><br>

Good idea. There are mercury battery issues. I wish Leica would come up with an upgrade.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I have hankered for a Leicameter for an M2 and a black M4P, but in 6 years searching have not yet found one - of any age - in good condition that works satisfactorily, if at all. Selenium cells can go 'haywire', while older CdS cells may lose linearity, especially if given the wrong voltage - I feel that these old meters are a bit of a gamble and are often inordinately expensive.</p>

<p>I have a couple of Weston Master V meters that are still good, but also one that is now not linear. I have tried a calibration graph for the problematic meter, but it is really unuseable in the low range. My preferred solution is a Sekonic L308s which displays shutter speeds and apertures in 1/3rd stop steps. This covers the old shutter speed and apreture ranges on Barnack cameras and it is therefore an extremely handy as well as reliable meter.</p>