Leica M9 Repair

<p>As James says, major work seems to be done in Germany. The shutter failure on my M8 while under warranty was examined by Leica via Kindermann in Toronto before being sent to NJ and then to Germany. Not sure what the current relation is between Kindermann and Leica, but they have been a trusted Leica repair centre (thanks in part to Gerry Smith) and were once the principal Leica repair centre in Canada. I would expect that in the US New Jersey does digital camera repairs up to a point. Thankfully my M9 has not needed any service since purchase a number of years ago.</p>

My sensor was replaced in Melbourne, rangefinder adjusted and shutter release button relubricated. Camera Clinic's

repair staff had training in Solms and are approved for these major works. I'd be sure it's the same in London and New

Jersey.

<p>My only experience of M9 repair services with the NJ center has been rangefinder adjustment. </p>

<p>You might get some immediate feedback or a return call from one of their tech staff. I've even carried in an older M lens I'd just purchased about a year ago, with 14-day return rights. The seller had indicated it might have slight haze. I was going to leave it but the receptionist said she'd ask if a tech was available. Fifteen minutes later, a clean bill of health. Worth a try, at least for further information.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Looking at the Leica repair stuff on their website it looks like only Germany is repairing the M9. Is this true, or does Leica NJ also offer repair on the digital cameras?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Here's a novel idea - Call Leica NJ and ask them.</p>

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

<p>If you have plenty of time than send it to Leica Germany! I bought an M9 and sent it back because the rangefinder was not aligned. Got it back after 4 (four) months. Took it to a trip to Madras right away and after two days the sensor cracked. Great if you like photoshop removing the crack from every picture. Sent it back to Germany beginning of april and will have to wait until the sensors are available again. They can't say when, not even by months...If I wasn't so used to the system I guess I could change brand but I finally bought another new M9, I was lucky to find one. The rangefinder is only very slightly misaligned so I can use this one until my other one gets back. Good luck!</p>

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...