Leica M on backorder

<p>It must me a nice feeling if you make a product that becomes so popular it is perpetually on back order. The demand for Leica cameras has prompted the company to build a whole new factory to meet demand.</p>

<p><a href="http://en.leica-camera.com/news/news/1/10162.html">http://en.leica-camera.com/news/news/1/10162.html</a></p>

<p>I only own a modest D-Lux 4 which I bought used recently. I registered the serial number a fortnight ago and gave my email details. Yesterday I got an email noting that I downloaded the latest firmware and asking whether I liked my D-Lux.</p>

<p>I've shot Nikon professionally since 1970 and have been loyal to the brand until now. I never got such a question from them. Good on you Leica. This is what customer service is all about.</p>

<p>Well, they are waiting on their manufactures to make enough Leica Ms, so Customer Service Reps have to do something. When I bought my D-Lux4, way back, the M8 was on shelves and I did not get nay emails...... :)</p>

Francisco,

The D-Lux series are made by Panasonic not Leica.

The email you got is nice but most likely was an automated response from computers or Japanese robots.

The M8 was a German product by Leica which was small compared to Pana and cannot afford to have the computer or

German robots to send email to thank and connect with us folks.

<p>Francisco, you are right. Leica is different in many ways. Today, anybody could have computer robots working for a repply. If Leica can do it, certainly Panasonic and Nikon could do the same. But maybe they do not care about it... Leica cares. I bought an early M7 and had it's viewfinder damaged, in 2005. I went for the local Leica representative in Sao Paulo, Brazil to repair it. Waited for weeks. Leica couldn't send it back soon, so they gave me a brand new camera. One may say that you should expect it for what you pay, but there are so many companys that produce expensive goods that don't care about it. Living in this selfish, unbeliever world it is a joy to have a Leica. They seem a point out of the curve. Cheers and have fun with your D-Lux! Carlos.</p>