Leica "L" seal?

<p>Yes and maybe. How does the rest of the body look? How do the slow shutter speeds sound? How do the high shutter speeds sound? How do the seals look? The shutter? What is the price? What camera is it? M3, M2, M4? Is everything else original Leica? Is it something you want or need? It will probably need a budget for a CLA soon after you get it. Good luck! </p>

<p>From a collector point of view, for a Leica that is in near-mint collectible condition, and is going to go into a glass case, the camera is worth more with the L seal intact. If it's to be used, and it's say, an M2 from 1960, well then it's overdue for a CLA. I use my Leicas, so if I were buying it, it's going to Sherry for a CLA, so I wouldn't give an extra dime for the L seal!</p>

<p>I'm with Rob ... if it's advertised with the seal intact, I add $250 to my budget (or subtract it from the price I'm willing to pay) to cover the inevitable CLA ... however, if someone is advertising the intact seal, they are probably targeting a different buyer (a collector).</p>

<p>It is my understanding that if Leitz in Wetzlar, and poss. London or New York serviced the camera, it was "resealed" with an L'. This was a way of knowing that the service was performed by Leitz and not some third party repair shop. It does not mean the camera has never been "opened".<br>

I have understood this for the past 50 +years! </p>

<p>IMHO a Leica camera deserves to be used, CLA'd if needed and stored in a glass case waiting for the next road trip,hike or outing. The only cameras in my collection that are relegated to the showcase of non use are subminis, and some older cameras that require film no longer easily available.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>IMHO a Leica camera deserves to be used, CLA'd if needed and stored in a glass case waiting for the next road trip,hike or outing. The only cameras in my collection that are relegated to the showcase of non use are subminis, and some older cameras that require film no longer easily available.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I tend to agree; however, if one is looking to purchase a Leica to use, it pays to avoid the sort of thing that the collectors would pay top dollar for. A few minor dings and the price goes way down; best to pay that lower price up front then to pay "shelf queen" prices when you buy and only get a "user" price when you sell it after christening it with dings and wear marks yourself.</p>

<p>The price of used Leica's in the UK is so high that it pays to buy from a dealer, L seal or not.</p>

<p>I bought a new/ unused M6 RPS with L seal from a Leica dealer with 12 months warranty for the price of a used M6 on eBay.<br>

Sent it for a CLA when it wouldnt take up the 28mm framlines and the shop picked up the costs.</p>

<p>My advice is to shop aroound.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The price of used Leica's in the UK is so high that it pays to buy from a dealer, L seal or not.</p>

<p>I bought a new/ unused M6 RPS with L seal from a Leica dealer with 12 months warranty for the price of a used M6 on eBay.<br>

Sent it for a CLA when it wouldnt take up the 28mm framlines and the shop picked up the costs.</p>

<p>My advice is to shop aroound.</p>

<p> </p>

• 1 month later...