Legendary Olympus designer Maitani dies

<p>Greg, what camera store did you work at? I worked at Altmans on Wabash st. from about 12/73 to 5/75 when Ralph sold out the business. I then worked at Camera Exchange on Dearborn untill I moved in 1978. Just went back to visit Chicago last September and all the camera stores in the loop are gone except for Central Camera. The loop has changed beyond all recognition and one of my favorite places, the Adler Planetarium has been expanded but many of the features I knew and enjoyed are gone. Too bad, I think.</p>

<p>John, I worked at Watlands Camera. They had about a eight stores in the South Suburbs (Blue Island, Tinley Park, Kankakee.... OK, a little far to be a suburb.... , Hammond, etc.) I worked at the Chicago Heights store. I remember Altmans. My parents bought a Canon TL/QL their for my birthday (1971).... my first 35mm SLR. I loved Altmans, they had everything anybody could ever need. Camera stores like that are a thing of distant memories. Watlands stores were small by comparison, but they were staffed by knowledgeable photographers (another thing that's hard to find today)..... Anyway, the OM-1 was a classic a real testimony to vision of Maitani...</p>

<p>Few days before Maitani passed away, I'd received a beautiful OM 3ti. The best thing that I can do to honour his memory is using it. And I am doing it, for sure. What a marvellous piece of equipment!<br>

The OM line is the perfect compromise between the ease of use of an SLR and the quietness and other advantages of the Leica M line. In fact, it is the SLR that Leica should have produced. A class in its own.<br>

My respects for Maitani and his crew.</p>

• 2 weeks later...