Largest D200 Compact Flash?

kieran_mullen

<p>Seems there is a problem with submit ? The server did the trick on me, one submit failed... but not really?</p>

<p>The Large JPG estimates 3.4 thousand pictures to take.<br>

Raw only estimates 1.8 thousand pictures.</p>

<p>Raw + Large JPG estimates 1.2 thousand pictures.</p>

<p>With memory like this, you may not need to remove the chip from the camera at all. No need to subject it to static electricity or mechanical damage, or card readers of questionable quality.</p>

<p>There were maybe no available cards greater than 8G when that manual was printed?</p>

<p>That said, I like my 1G cards in my D50 because they hold about 4 rolls of film worth of pics, no more. I'd hate to lose that many and I am very anal about backing them up and then backing up the backups...</p>

<p>For my type of shooting, a 4gb card is enough. But I can see times when shooting with a larger card would be handy, such as an event or wedding, where I don't want to have to stop to change cards. But overall I agree that anything larger than 4gb, and you're risking losing a lot of photos if the card has an error. Others say the opposite, that losing a card (if shooting multiple 4gb cards, for example) is just as risky. When I finish a card, I place it in the case in my camera bag where the other cards are stored, upside down, so I know it's full. Anyway, glad to hear my new D200 can take a larger card than 4gb if necessary.</p>
  • Like 1

<p>I've used up to 8 gig CFs in the D300 but feel more confortable with 4 gig. I also use 4 gig SDs on my D50. If you go on a once-in-a-lifetime trip with a 32 gig card and it crashes when near full, you are DEAD.</p>

<p>Folks, just because you can use a 32G card on the D200 does not necessarily mean you have to fill it to the max. I for one prefer to have larger cards around so that in case I need the memory space, it is available. But if I have important images, I can switch cards and take some "insurance" images on a different card.</p>

<p>The D200 was introduced at the end of 2005. Back then, I paid $150 to $200 for a 2G card. The D200 is FAT 32 compatible. Therefore, theoretically, you can use something like a 160G card on it.</p>

<p>Like Shun I use larger cards (16gb) but never normally fill more than 4gb on one card. But on trips I take 4 cards and have enough storage capacity if needed. The 16gb cards work fine on my backup D200.</p>

<p>I have a few 2gb cards but do not like using them anymore, as I feel I may run out of space at a crucial time. Plus that is when I would lose things rushing to change cards to get the shot.</p>

<p>Your $200 2G card, reminds me of paying £140.00 for a huge 512mb CF for my new D70.</p>

• Like 1

<p>@<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=2178860">Jim Momary</a><br>

The information in the manual is only accurate at the time the manual was printed. As has been pointed out in subsequent posts the world of storage media has moved on since 2007 and cards considerably larger than what was available in those times can be used if the owner wants.<br>

Having said that I would rather have 4 x 4GB cards than 1 x 16GB card.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Memory and storage is like a toilet. You don't really want them around, but when you need one, you REALLY need one.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That doesn't seem to be a good analogy. I for one have no problem having plenty of memory around. In 7 years of shooting digital, I have one brand new CF card that was bad as soon as I received it; another one started acting up after like 2 years but it gave me plenty of warnings first. So far I still have never lose any digital image for any reason.</p>

<p>Meanwhile, I have seen several people having too many memory cards around and misplaced them. Since they physically lost those cards, there was no chance for any image recovery either. To me, the often repeated mantra "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" when applied on this issue is simply bad advice.</p>

<p>P.S. And spaking of old prices, when I bought my D100 back in 2002, I paid $100 for some "no name" 256M CF cards. Things have really changed a lot in merely a few years.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>I had to laugh at the above re: Shun's CF card purchase price. I bought my D100 in November 2003, and I bought myself a Christmas present that year of a Lexar 512MB 80x WA CF card....for $160.00! By the way, my son is still using both the D100 AND the 512MB card as we speak.<br>

Now, I am looking for advice re: Lexar CF cards for my D200. It seems that everyone concurs that 8GB cards are compatible with the Nikon D200. But, what about the speed? Is there a write speed above which I am wasting my $$? I thought that there used to be a chart on the Lexar web site that addressed this, but I was unable to find it, so I came to the experts!<br>

Thanks in advance...</p>

• 5 years later...

<p>I just got a 64 GB UDMA7 300X Lexar CF card to work on my Nikon D200 by downsizing it.<br>

Out of the package after plugging it into my D200 I got a "FOR" message. Formatting the card renamed the drive and added a DCIM folder, but showed a 0 frames remaining count (FULL). So it wasn't a whole lot of good to me at that point.<br>

I really couldn't find any useful information on the net after many searches and ended up using trial and error to get this card to work.<br>

I used a partition tool ("MiniTool Partition Wizard Free") to resize the partition to ~32 GB (actually I used 32757.51 MB or 31.99 GB), and then formatted the card in FAT32 (NOT exFAT of NTFS) with a cluster size of 64 kB (Default or 32 kB seem to work too).<br>

I wasn't able to get it to work for >31.99 GB. But I now have a card that takes about 2000 images... which is more than enough for my needs.<br>

I know this is a very old thread, but at least this provides better guidance than comments like "Nikon says the max card size is 2 GB so you're out of luck"</p>

• 1 year later...
Small size card is good enough for old cameras that don't have high MP but the problem is small size card may be difficult to find and sometimes priced higher than a larger card.

Well, I have plenty of 2G, 4G and 8G CF cards sitting in my drawer. I paid like $200 each for 2G cards back in 2005 or so. :-(

Since I no longer use my D700 and D800E much any more, I rarely use CF in these days.

Shun, It's not a problem if the camera would take a high capacity card but a couple of my old Nikon Coolpix won't take card with high capacity.

1. You shouldn't be using digital cameras that are so old. :)
  2. If you don't mind buying used, there should be plenty of small-capacity CF cards around. I'll take 50% off and sell you some 2G cards for $100 each.

1. You shouldn't be using digital cameras that are so old. :)
  2. If you don't mind buying used, there should be plenty of small-capacity CF cards around. I'll take 50% off and sell you some 2G cards for $100 each.

Alright Shun! You're the upgrader. I use the same thing until it breaks. I don't care how much better the new stuff is. Thanks for the offer I took home from my work a bunch of 1 and 2 GB CF card. We use them on our HMI touchscreen.

• 2 months later...
Alright Shun! You're the upgrader. I use the same thing until it breaks. I don't care how much better the new stuff is. Thanks for the offer I took home from my work a bunch of 1 and 2 GB CF card. We use them on our HMI touchscreen.

I'm a lot like you. I keep my old cameras, even film cameras, if they continue to give great results. I still use my Nikon D1X for street photography on the weekends and shoot with my F, F3 and F5 film cameras on a regular basis. There's something special about using film cameras and knowing that you have to exploit all of your creativity to produce great shots the first time around, not knowing if you got anything at all. No delete buttons on film cameras.