Kodalith

Hi gang,

I thought I posted this yesterday, but dang if I can find it anywhere, so here

it goes again.

I was given several bags of Kodalith which apparently was matched with like

named film for lithographs. Two questions:

1. Can it be used for anything else besides lithography?

2. If not, what is a good source of lithographic film?

Any other suggestions on using this chemistry are appreciated.

Dave

I used to use 35mm Kodalith film in bulk. But, I haven't used it in many years. I started using it in 1992 when a 100' roll was $25 and stopped when a 100' roll eventually ended up at $90 in 1997. I haven't looked for it since that time, but I'm fairly certain it is not manufactured any more.

<p>

Since a properly exposed image is comprised of opaque black and clear film base (absolutely no gradations in between), I don't see much use for that film in anything but litho purposes. I might add that it was extremely sensitive for correct exposures. Not a forgiving film at all.</p>

David. "Lith" film and developer are designed to give pure black and white images with no shades of grey in between. In other words, extremely high contrast.

Kodalith developer is a hydroquinone-caustic developer which gives a purely black and transparent image when used with lith film. It'll give very high contrast results (i.e. pseudo-lith) with normal film and paper.

Be aware that caustic developers make the film emulsion very fragile, and can easily lift the emuslion clean off a normal film, if used carelessly.

pseudo lith printing is a bleaching re-development process. Over print an image, bleach it back with a variety of bleachs in , and then re-develop in a different developer than the orginal print was made with. Different papers along with different bleach types create a wide variety of results, usually with unpredictable shifts in color.

I haven't used the Kodalith developer (I believe it has parts A & B)- instead I use D-19 for high-contrast. I seem to have an endless supply of Kodalith in 35mm. Somehow, I have about 4 bulk rolls in the fridge -- I don't think the stuff goes bad... and at the rate I use it, I hope not. However, Kodalith film can be developed in Dektol for pictorial photography... but with an ISO of about 12. Still, fun stuff to play with.

Kodalith developer and Kodalith (type) films are designed to be used to expose litho

negatives (black & white) of typeset material in a process camera. Used this way, they

produce a dense black and clear white and no middle tones at all. These negatives are

then exposed in contact with offset-lithography printing plates to a UV type light source to

make printing plates for offset lithography.

Now, the film has many other uses for pictorial photography, and the developer can also

be used for high-contrast results with other materials.

ann referred to pseudo lith printing . lith printing is using lith CHEMISTRY to develop traditional silver gelatin paper( certain papers lith well and some do not). you expose your paper under the enlarger ( usually for much longer than normal) and then develop it in HIGHLY diluted lith chemistry. it is FUN , it will give you all kinds of creative avenues and you can find a look that is unique or traditional. i used the the Kodak chemistry to practice with until i had a feeling of being able to understand the process and then i moved to chemistry that was more " colorful" and exciting. get tim rudmans book and try it.