Kodak Medalist at Pioneer Farm

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by david_l|3, Dec 5, 2014.

1. A week ago today I took the Kodak Medalist out to a local park with a recreated pioneer farm. My trusty tripod was conscripted for the excursion, and roll of Kodak T-Max 400 was loaded in the camera. The light meter app on my phone did the light measurement duties.
    00czc5-553006284.jpg

2. a building for smoking meats
    00czc7-553006384.jpg

3. Workshop
    00czc8-553006484.jpg

4. Blacksmith shop
    00czc9-553006584.jpg

5. Does anyone know what this machine does? It all spins and rotates. I spun the pulley wheel in the left rear and all the gears rotated in glorious unison.
    00czcA-553006784.jpg

6. It's either a big pasta machine or they were rolling out something like steel.

7. Looks like it would be for bending sheet steel. Perhaps for barrel hoops, or wagon wheels.

8. There is a place in NJ that looks like that. I think it's Jockey Hollow in Morristown.

9. Very nice quality monochromes, David; the old Ektar lens lives up to it's reputation and the Tri-X delivers excellent tones.

10. Nice tones and Ektar performance combine to deliver good images of this pioneer farm. Thanks for posting.

11. Your "Mechanical wacha-ma-call-it" could be a sorghum press. Looks like a trough at the bottom for the juice to drain. This press looks to be incomplete as there is another set of gears on top which connect to a long pole which is hooked to a mule/horse. The mule walks in a circle (30') around the press turning the gears/rollers, workers feed the stalks into the rollers which squeeze out the juice which is then boiled down to make sorghum molasses. Very common is the southern farm states. I've had many a breakfast treat of sorghum molasses, butter and hot biscuits.

12. After studying the photo a little closer I see a pulley wheel on the far side (non-toothed) which is powered by a large belt from a tractor or other power source.

13. "pulley wheel on the far side (non-toothed) which is powered by a large belt" Randy B.

Probably a tract drive unit for guiding lumber through to be milled by a large Circular or Ban saw.

14. I found a photo of a sorghum press.
    http://okfuskeefarm.com/our-products/sorghum-syrup
    It was one of a few different designs.

15. Thanks for all the nice comments folks. The machine was utterly fascinating when I rotated the rear pulley wheel and watched the gears move as well as the three drums at the business end. It made a wonderful cacophony of mechanical noise. The railroad stakes for gear shaft keys were absolutely heavy duty. I'd like to be there when the forge is in operation. Jeff, I have been to Morristown to visit a friend a few times and didn't know about Jockey Hollow. Thanks for the info.

16. I miss my Medalist. I miss re-spooling 120 onto 620 spools. I miss my hair.

17. I think Andrew Y. solved it, it's a "press" alright.
    Gene, that's pretty funny...