Kodak Medalist at Pioneer Farm

david_l3

<p>A week ago today I took the Kodak Medalist out to a local park with a recreated pioneer farm. My trusty tripod was conscripted for the excursion, and roll of Kodak T-Max 400 was loaded in the camera. The light meter app on my phone did the light measurement duties. </p><div>00czc5-553006284.jpg.ec7adc8d6c17242e868d7ad5a823e5f1.jpg</div>

<p>Your "Mechanical wacha-ma-call-it" could be a sorghum press. Looks like a trough at the bottom for the juice to drain. This press looks to be incomplete as there is another set of gears on top which connect to a long pole which is hooked to a mule/horse. The mule walks in a circle (30') around the press turning the gears/rollers, workers feed the stalks into the rollers which squeeze out the juice which is then boiled down to make sorghum molasses. Very common is the southern farm states. I've had many a breakfast treat of sorghum molasses, butter and hot biscuits.</p>

<p>"pulley wheel on the far side (non-toothed) which is powered by a large belt" <strong><em>Randy B.</em></strong><br>

<strong><em> </em></strong><br>

Probably a tract <strong>drive unit</strong> for guiding lumber through to be <strong>milled</strong> by a large Circular or Ban saw. </p>

<p>Thanks for all the nice comments folks. The machine was utterly fascinating when I rotated the rear pulley wheel and watched the gears move as well as the three drums at the business end. It made a wonderful cacophony of mechanical noise. The railroad stakes for gear shaft keys were absolutely heavy duty. I'd like to be there when the forge is in operation. Jeff, I have been to Morristown to visit a friend a few times and didn't know about Jockey Hollow. Thanks for the info. </p>

• 2 weeks later...