kodacolor c110 film from a vacation I was on. I never got them

developed and recently discovered them while doing some house

cleaning. My questions are: can these rolls still be developed by a

typical Walmart/Kmart processing center and is there any chance that

the images are still good on the film. If the super centers are

incapable of processing this film does anyone know where it can be

developed? Thank you in advance!!!

P.S. the proc. type is C-41

I don't think the regular 1-hour labs process 110 film, but they can send it out. The chemisty is okay, just the machines are set up for different size film.

Almost certainly, the film will be damaged somewhat. Color may be off, or it may just have no discernable image left. It is surely worth a try, though, just to find out. Be sure to let your lab know that that it's old film, and you want ALL frames printed.

There is a lab that specializes on oddball developing, but I doubt they could do a lot better with this than any other lab. I think it is Rocky Mountain Labs.

I would give it to Walmart, and ask them to develop only, not print anything. I would also have them scan all frames to a CD. The colors will probably be off, but then you can desaturate them into B&W. At least you'll have something to look at rather than nothing. All this should cost less than $5/roll at Walmart.

How important is this film to you? If it potentially has valuable images of yourself or your family in your childhood/teen years, or or relatives who have passed on, etc., spend the extra money to have it developed right at Rocky Mountain or one of the other labs that specialize in older film. C-41 is a current process but most places aren't set up to print or scan from 110.

I wasn't aware that Walmart would "develop only" ( having used Sam's club a lot- they send to the same Fuji lab)- financially you would be better off to just specify one each of the 3 1/2 prints especially since if perchance the roll is blank - they won't charge you anythihng at all.

You might as well let them scan onto CD though as the best prints would come after color correcting in software.

There were two types of Instamatics. The older version used 126 film and produced a square negative or slide of 26.5x26.5mm. This is a moderately useful size.

The newer version was the "Pocket Instamatic." It produced a 13mm by 17mm negative or slide. It was another step down the "smaller format because consumers don't care" slide that eventually led to Disc cameras and the irrelevance of non-disposable Kodak film cameras.

Most of the cameras which took these films were consumer trash, but there were some nice pieces. I have a Pentax 110 system, which is a wonderful piece of engineering that's simultaneously minimalist and over the top. If I could reliably find consumables, (film and batteries), I'd probably get a Kodak Retina Instamatic reflex as well.

Terence,<p>Wal mart will develop your film for you at $1.88/roll (for 35mm film). They will scan the film or mounted slides (same price) for $2.88/36 exposures, on their Fuji Frontier machine. I do this routinely.<p>If the film comes out blank, I'm sure they wouldn't even charge you the $1.88 for the developing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

I would try http://www.rapidphoto.net/Index_013005/Page_1x.html They specialize in processing outdated film and film that no one processes such as the 126 and 110 film. As long as the film has been exposed but not developed yet, they will be able to help you. I believe they charge about $20 to process your film and put it into a disc for you. This same company occasionally sells their service on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/C22-or-C41-Film-Processing-126-120-620-DISC-127-110_W0QQitemZ6005842331QQcategoryZ20947QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is worth a shot to try to save that film especially if you it was 25 years ago. Good luck.

- Mary

http://www.longhairportraits.com

Just have a Walmart or other shop use their Frontier machine to develop; scan and print the roll for 8 bucks; and throw the duds away; keep the good prints and CD. Here it is a 1 hour service. I am not sure why this is thought to be such a "problem"; when many Frontiers at stores do this as a regular event. Here I still use a Pentax A110; and get a CD and prints in 1 hour.

Pentax and Minolta made high-end 110 SLR cameras. Minoltas had fixed zooms, and Pentax had interchangeable lenses (indluding a zoom). Soligor made a 1.7x teleconverter for the Pentax SLR.

The Kodak Pocket 50 and Pocket 60 (and later on the flipflash-equipped Ektralite 48) had a painfully sharp 2.8 Ektar lens. (This was a REAL Ektar too, a very well made Tessar formula, NOT a micro-coke-bottle-bottom with the Ektar name slapped on it.)

Kodachromes shot in that little camera are capable of incredible magnification. Projected, they look as good as most 35mm work. (Projected to 11x14 size, they are still razor sharp and grain-free.)

Kodak also made a series of "Pocket Carousel" projectors. Beautiful little devices. They did not cut any corners on them.

The format had a lot going for it. With newer emulsions, it would have been capable of incredible quality. Even older emulsions would have really shined in that format. Can you imagine 110 spoolings of Kodachrome 25, Panatomic X, or Tech Pan?

Don't scoff if you haven't seen any images that show off what the format was capable of, when used with decent equipment, and a steady hand.

What killed the 110 market was Kodak's decision to supplant it with "Disc Film". Even with the "modern" emulsions coated on those discs, the format simply was not suited to greater than wallet-size prints.

Even today, there are people buying and using the Pentax 110s (and the Kodak Pocket 60s, which require "home-made" Size-K batteries). Some of the rarer Pentax lenses (the 70mm, the zoom, the 18mm "Pan-focus", and the Soligor teleconverter) will still fetch a pretty penny on ebay.

Unfortuantely, it's impossible to find any slower emulsions in the format anymore, unless you "roll your own" (a difficult, but not impossible endeavler) using 16mm film, or "slitted" 35mm film.

In the 1970's I used a Rollei A110 as my poor mans Minox. :) Verichrome pan was available in 110 film then; and also Tri-x once. The Tessar in this camera was very sharp; one home processed it with 16mm reels; in a Nikor tank. I used a 25mm Schneider Componon for printing. This lens was not unit focusing; the front group is moved to focus. This means the lens quality was abit lower a tad at the closer ranges. I think Martin Mr Minox :) has some more input on this lens too. My 110 camera seemed to be really limited as a system by the film; and not by the lens. Verichrome was nice to use; and once available in most drug stores. Today the only commonm 110 film is C41 Kodak at asa 400. Some cameras are keyed to accept old asa 125/80 and 400; others may overexpose a tad with asa 400.