K5, K5 II, K5 IIs, K30 and whatever the future will hold

henkc

<p>Hi all<br>

I may be looking at upgrading from my K20D in the coming few months. This camera has served me well and continues to do so. The one shortcoming I find is working in low light. This leads me to ask what is going to make me happiest. The K5, K5 II, K5 IIs (in order of increasing cost and probably desirability) are the obvious upgrade path, with the K5 IIs probably winning out overall.<br>

The K30 is a bit of an unknown quantity, with my local brick and mortar camera shop having sold only one and having had no real feedback on it.<br>

Next up is a rumour that something new is coming in the 1st half of this year, but there's always going to be a rumour like that. A full-frame mirrorless body would be nice.<br>

The final option is to look at a 2nd hand full frame Canon (5d Mk II) or Nikon (D700) and start putting a minimal collection of primes together - I would happily start with a 28 and a 50. This would start to become very expensive very fast. The advantage of this is that Pentax has a very small footprint in South Africa (although they actually seem to be growing and marketing their kit now) which means that selling off the kit I have would be difficult. Has anyone got experience of how these two bodies compare to the K5 in its various guises?<br>

Any suggestions or advice?<br>

Henk</p>

<p>You w'll never be disappointed with a K5, even K5 "normal. Fine pictures, better contrast, good low and high lights, a real upgrade from K20D. I have K5, K10D, K20D and I can say that K5 is the best of them. Light camera vs FF.<br>

Here in France a FF Nikon or Canon in second hand is more expensive that a new Pentax.<br>

My gallery with some pictures taken with a K5.<br>

<a href="http://fre.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/michellemandat">http://fre.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/michellemandat</a></p>

<p>I was thinking about upgrading from my K10D and bought a K01 (at around $300) in order to try out the sensor, live view, etc. My thought was that this would give me some real experience with supposedly vastly improved IQ and low level performance, as well as the mechanics like live view, before making a decision when the next generation comes out. Worst case is that I have another body that seems to be very well suited for landscape and macro work (using it sorta like a view camera).</p>

<p>Yes you will be disappointed with a K-5 if you ever get your hands on a K-5 II. Don't settle for anything less (this is said without selfinterest as it obviously only lessens the K-5 I might now have to sell).<br>

I'v got the IIs and it's no doubt it's top of the line. But if you are in a squeeze the plain II might serve you just as well. </p>

<p>Like Mathias, while I love my K-5, there really is no reason to buy it instead of the K-5 IIs, which is in many ways the best camera sold by Pentax (the K-01 and K30 have some features that are not yet on the K-5 series). Having bought a K20 as an upgrade from the K10 about 5 months before I was able to get the K-5, that K20 now sits gathering dust. The K-5 is just better. If you buy based on rumors, you'll always be waiting for the next better camera. </p>

<p>I've seen some decent pictures come out of the K5, but I haven't used it. I would like to handle one just to see if Pentax has upgraded the feel of the cameras. The last camera I used was a K20, and that was the last! In order for me to produce quality work, I need a camera that I don't have to fight with (exposure, color, white balance, etc.)<br>

Since I got the Nikon D700, I have never looked back to <em>anything. </em>It just works! Many times directly after I got it I took images that just were not possible with the Pentax gear, let alone film. <br>

Images under low light I can print noiseless up to ISO 1600 without noise reduction up to 13x19. 3200 is on the boarder and 6400 depends on the shot. I have to use noise reduction at 6400 always. The meter in the d700 seems to be more accurate or something, because under low light with the Pentax gear the exposure is usually off, but the d700 is right on it 98% of the time.<br>

I would suggest to at least handle a d700 before making a purchase. I wouldn't suggest a 5d mk ii as the af has problems, not to mention the fps is at 3.9 vs d700 at 8 fps with the grip. <br /><br /><br>

I got my d700 second hand at a fairly reasonable price as it was almost new. It only had 6000 clicks. 50mm f/1.8D Nikkors are just about $100 if you look at a specific auction site. I got an excelent quality 28-85mm AF Nikkor for $100 that is extremely sharp wide open at 28mm from Adorama.<br>

Whatever camera you choose, whither Pentax or Nikon, both can produce excellent quality results. One may take a little more work, but it is possible. <br>

Good Luck<br>

-Jon</p>

<p>The K30 may be the best quality amateur-oriented body out there, but it is not a K-5. Being used to your K-20D, it seems unlikely that you would be satisfied with a K30 as a true upgrade. The pro style control capability is just not there, and AF was tested a bit slower. A left-over new K-5 would be a far better choice, and also at bargain prices. I still have my K-20D and occasionally use it when high-iso, low noise use is not an issue, even though I most often use my K-5. Overall IQ is better, and low light/high iso is much better with the K-5. </p>

<p>I have yet to see a test result indicating superior image results from the K-5II, compared with the K-5. Faster, more accurate AF is claimed, but test results are still forthcoming. The K-5IIs is still a mystery because of the unknown factor of just how much of a problem might be presented, and how often, from not having the filter to guard against moire. Again, test evaluations are still lacking regarding the advantages/disadvantages of this design.</p>

<p>Henk,<br>

Unless you are needing to make prints greater than about 36 inches on a regular basis, going with the K-5 IIs (which is what I am strongly leaning towards as my daughter seizes my K 20D) would serve you well.<br /><br />Using a tripod usually solves the few low-light related landscape shooting I do, but I tend not to take those shots in the first place. <br /><br />Comparing different brands is complicated.<br /><br />I use a Canon 5D MK2 now and then. They are now discontinued and the cost of a new one is very reasonable. The value on the used market has plummeted. A friend has the hots to buy the MK3 model, so his strategy is to get me hooked on his MK2 so he can sell it. <br /><br />For field shooting, however, I prefer the smaller size and weight of the Pentax line. The interface is far more intuitive with Pentax too, especially with the K20D.<br /><br />While in the Canon world the 5D MK2 is perceived as having inferior AF (which is true relative to say the 7D and newer models), it is still better than anything Pentax offers. For landscapes that may not matter. The flash subsystems of Canon (and Nikon) are markedly superior to Pentax, but again for landscapes that may not be an issue.<br /><br />The 5D MK2 works great in low light, but I find its greatest value in the increased separation with wide-open closeups, and the ability to use Liveview with using a 24mm tilt-shift lens for landscapes. While that lens works well enough on the cropped-sensor 7D, the field-of-view lessens what I feel are the benefits of that kind of lens. Using a tilt-shift lens for landscapes is an acquired skill (and taste), so YMMV anyway.<br /><br />Personally I prefer Pentax files for post processing. They seem more forgiving. With Canon files I have to pay more attention to the balance between sharpness and noise management. When I'm doing things wrong that plasticky look appears.<br /><br />Here's a thought: while you'll get increased low-light capabilities and better initial resolution with the K-5 IIs, I don't think the overall quality increase over what you have will be outrageous. If you are open to change, consider checking out the Sigma Foveon sensor-based Merrill rangefinder style compacts. I've only seen online images (and not prints which matters to me), but they seem better than anything this side of a D800e.<br /><br />ME</p>

<p>I feel that the d700 is superior to the Canon 5d Mk ii in some ways. Nikon definitely has the noise down better and the d700 for me seems to be sharper. The only drawback is the 12 mp. Which has been solved with the d600 at 24 mp or the d800 at 36 mp. <br>

Imaging resource has lots of test files for download that you can compare cameras, noise levels, and sharpness for yourself. <br>

-Jon</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The K30 controls and build are way better than the K100D, but not as good as the K-5, as you have experienced similarly with the K20D. The K30 default sharpening at +1 is designed a bit more aggressive than in the K-5 also at +1. This can be compensated by setting the K-5 control for sharpness up to +2. I also add the fine sharpness. If shooting RAW images, determining sharpness application may be done in post process with either model. </p>

<p>Either model will offer much superior high ISO results for noise and clarity, compared to your K100D or K20D. The K-5 is practically as compact as the K30, but a few ounces more in weight, yet noticeably less than your K20D. It offers a lot of capability in a small package, particularly if you like using a compact lens, most especially a high-quality compact prime like one of the Limited series. One of the monitors here, Justin Serpico, has been producing some outstanding landscape shots with his K-5 in such a combination, while appreciating the compactness for hiking. </p>

<p>If I was shopping for a new body now and had the money I'd go for the K-5IIs in a heartbeat. I've seen enough samples to see that it's producing noticeably sharper/more detailed images than the classic K-5. If I was worried about moire I'd get the regular K-5II but I'm not. That being said my K-5 has been terrific and I don't really have any complaints. If I was on a tight budget I'd find a deal on a K-5 and stop looking at K-5IIs images online! Sometimes I'm tempted by other systems offering superior AF, MPs, and flash systems. But the majority of my shooting I do from my skis, bike, or while hiking so having this compact weather resistant package I can fit in my jacket pocket that produces images that I and my clients are happy with is hard to argue with. It also fits my lens collection!</p>

<p>On rumors of new cameras - <a href="http://www.cpplus.jp/en/">CP+</a> is happening at the end of this month, so I would wait to see what comes out of that.</p>

<p>Otherwise, in terms of low light performance, all the SLR models since K-5 are pretty close to each other. Look at body features (K-30 vs the rest) or the particular new features of the newer K-5s (like the low light focusing improvements. The K-30 seems to be the better featured camera for video and it does have some features that did not show in the K-5 II models.</p>

<p>A K5 Vs 1 is selling at Adorama right now for $749, that is an amazing price for such a great camera. For twice that much you get better focusing with the K5 II all the way down to -3 EV. I'm a Canon owner, but I had my eye on the Pentax K5 for a long time. Just waiting for my finances to open up a little. All weather sealing, best dynamic range for an APS-C in the business, double exposure, in-camera filters ? and an array of very good prime lenses. l don't think even Canon or Nikon can beat this....</p>

<p>@Henk, I love your landscape work. I had my K20D broken in the shutter/aperture mechanics right at 3.5 year of usage mark and end of 3 year extended warranty. Though I have to pay, CRIS in US brought my K20D alive with brand new replacement of the internal mechanics and my K20D is running like new. I love that camera and I still do but less so after K-5 purchase. I am a late comer for K-5 when I saw the price drop to $749 last thanksgiving and it was no-brainer for me as I don't need the extra in K-5 IIs. <br /> <br />My budget is tighter than others as I tend to overspend on cheap-o lens. The original K-5 fits my purpose and love in night shooting. AF in the dark is not something that I can write home about but it is easier, quicker and improved from K20D. Noise handling is great in the K-5 and afters. It is a much quicker and quieter camera than K20D. If budget allows and that you want to keep your Pentax lens, the newer K5 II(s) is highly regarded but the original K-5 will give you the best value for the cost of ownership.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Hi Henk, Im a pentax man through and through. i have had the isds, K10 and now the K-5. I love this camera, i have had it for about 16 months now. Its iso range of 100-6400 is fabulous. I shoot mostly with a 2.8 lens. 70-200. Check out my gallery. Pentaxphotogallery.com/artie .This will give you an idea of the beauty of this camera. there are pics using the isds and K10, so look to see which equipment I have used.<br>

You will not be sorry with the K-5. If you can upgrade to the II or IIs , do so, as i believe they have continued to improve the sensor. I love my K5 !!!!!<br>

Alles van die beste en veels geluk.<br>

Arthur</p>

<p>Hi Henk, Im a pentax man through and through. i have had the isds, K10 and now the K-5. I love this camera, i have had it for about 16 months now. Its iso range of 100-6400 is fabulous. I shoot mostly with a 2.8 lens. 70-200. Check out my gallery. Pentaxphotogallery.com/artie .This will give you an idea of the beauty of this camera. there are pics using the isds and K10, so look to see which equipment I have used.<br>

You will not be sorry with the K-5. If you can upgrade to the II or IIs , do so, as i believe they have continued to improve the sensor. I love my K5 !!!!!<br>

Alles van die beste en veels geluk.<br>

Arthur</p>

• 2 months later...