Just received Bessa R3A

rick_waldroup3

Just received my Bessa R3A and 40mm lens yesterday from Gandy. I

ran a roll of Neopan through the camera using only the 40mm and

everything looks great. I left the camera's meter on Auto and the

exposures were dead on. The fit and finish is a little better than

the R2 (which I also own). I also have the Voightlander 35 2.5 and

a Konica Hexar 90mm lens that I can't wait to try out. Now, if only

I could afford some Leica glass for all this!!!

Any chance of you doing a .wav file recording of the shutter sounds at various speeds? I

love the built and simplicity of the R2 but finally sold mine because the shutter was really

loud. I'd love to be able to buy another body to use for travelling to more 'dangerous'

places. The R2A and R3A would seem ideal. Just worried about the shutter.

Mine arrived the other day. More solid than an R2. It feels a bit more compact. Intuitive design. Love the 1:1, the 40 1.4SC produces beautiful images ( a scanner is my wishlist ). I use the little side grip on mine. Exposure and focus is right on. Handheld to 1/15 no problem. No issues with the following lenses VC:15, 25, 35C, 40,75, 90 and Leica 50 2.0 'cron. The Leica 135 4.0 is a bit long....I'll sell it if someone wants it. Excellent condition with hood and a filter. email an offer, I can post it tomorrow. (bistro at chefwarrens dot com) Back to the R3A. The shutter is a solid thunk. It has the feel of a shutter closing. Quieter than the R2, and everything else I own. The shutter/meter is a bit more delicate that my F100 and I'll have to get used to it. I have no complaints and am thrilled with the camera. It feels right.....Warren

Hi SK, sorry I do not how to do a sound file (I am as about computer dumb as you can get!). It is hard to describe the shutter sound. The R2 has a much more metallic sound to it than the R3A. To my ears, the sound of the shutter on the R3 is quieter than the R2, but not by much. The R3 shutter has a more deep thud to it than the metallic sound of the R2. Roger, I thought the finish of the R3 is better than the R2. It feels a little more substantial in my hands than the R2, but I don't know if that is just me or what. I have never had any problems whatsoever with my R2 and it goes with me everywhere, everyday. And the R3 appears to be built even better. Also, the metering system is excellent. It appears to be a finely made camera, but only time will tell if it can really hold up to everyday use. Make no mistake, this is no Leica, but it is definately an affordable and well made alternative to a Leica that can also take those wonderful Leica lenses. And an R3 would make a great backup to a Leica M. I am an arichitectural photographer by trade but street photography has been my main passion for over 25 years. The architectural photography pays the bills but my rangefinder cameras keep the fun in photography for me. I hope this helps, Rick

Claude, to answer, i currently use a M2 which is dead silent. Having to carry a sekonic

meter in the pocket and whip it out everytime i shoot just means that a lot of times i miss

my shots. I guess i'm just a little slow. I do a lot of indoor shoots and night shoots so i

can't make wild guesses at the metering, also i'm not good enough yet. I'm wondering if i

should get the R2a cos i really don't wanna buy a M7 unless there's one going really cheap.

I received my R3A also. It is solidly built. One disappointment for me: with my glasses on I cannot see the 40 mm framelines very well without moving my eye around the finder. I think I will stick with my CLE for 40mm shots. However, with a 50mm mounted it is very cool to be able to shoot with both eyes open due to the 1:1 finder. It's like an AE M3.

Just got mine yesterday, from Rich Pinto. Nothing more to add to the couple/few posts already about the RA3 except to say that it has a great feel and the RF patch is really, really bright and constrasty. <p>

I got the 40/1,4 S.C lens. UPS delivered it just after the sun had gone done. Did that stop me? No. I loaded it with a roll of HP5+ I had ready and waiting and luckily (sort of) it was one awful slow commute here in the San Francisco bay area yesterday. <p>

So stuck in traffic in SF, across the bay bridge and then slowly up San Pablo Avenue from Emeryville to Albany (where I live) I shot the entire roll from the car seat of my '94 BMW. Not as dangerous as one would think, traffic was so bad that I was stopped dead quite often, and my typical 30 minute commute took over a hour. Shots mostly of cars, alleys, storefronts, street corners, etc. All in the late dusk, early evening light. The whole roll shot wide open at f/1,4 at speeds ranging from 1/8th to 1/125, dim light to bright street light and stores, all hand held. Not a comprehensive test by any means but gives some indication of this lens when used in low light and how well one can hand hold this camera at slow speeds.<p>

The shots are nothing particularly special. And really may not show the definitive characteristics of this lens. But here's a selection if any one would like to see. Last one is an indoor shot of my dresser. <p>

<a href="http://www.richimages.com/folder.php?id=4">http://www.richimages.com/folder.php?id=4</a> <p>

(click on the thumbs for a larger image)<p>

Shot a roll of Tri-X with this same combo this afternoon of my son at the park. Might be a little more variety and better lighting conditions. Will develop and post soon.<p>

Richard

To those of you who have the R3A, anyone else wear eyeglasses? Can you see the 40mm framelines or are you having difficulty too? I have a .72 M7 and can make out 2 of the 4 35mm framelines at one time. I find this acceptable and would consider an R3A if it were like this with the 40mm framelines. I live in the SF Bay Area and would have to buy one on faith since there are no local stores that stock VC products any longer.

Ronald, no that's not vignetting but the edges of my spot track lighting that point just above the dresser. There is some slight vignetting I believe at f/1,4 based on other reports I've heard on this lens.

David, I wear glasses and has been reported here, the CVUG list and the rangefinderforum lists eyeglasses wearers cannot see all the framelines of the 40mm frames. If you are strict framelines kind of guy then you will be disappointed. However with slight movement they can be made out. It's not a dealbreaker for me. The RA3 is a great camera.