juried exhibition

louie_neilson

<p>Hi<br>

I'm not really new to photography, but I am thinking of entering my first ever juried exhibition sponsored<br>

by the Houston Photography Center.<br>

The problem is they want a resume/bio in conjunction with the images submitted, I have no idea<br>

what to include seeing as I have no resume can someone give me some examples of what I should write<br>

thank you</p>

<p>Lneilson</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm certainly not a pro at this, but I've done it once or twice and I'm not sure I even did it right, but I got accepted. The one's I did had an application to fill out and they listed any questions they wanted you to answer, so it was pretty self explanatory. I would just tell how you got started in photography, why you enjoy it, and most importantly, what makes your work different from everyone else's? Its not a complete guideline, but maybe it can help you get started.</p>

<p>"juried exhibition" is just a high-sounding name for a photo contest.</p>

<p>My town holds one every year, I've done well a few years.</p>

<p>William has the right advice, just use something similar to your Bio here on PN. For my public exhibition (show), I wrote a bit about about myself, and my photography experience, I think about 70-90 words, and included a picture of myself (same one as my bio here).</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Juried exhibition?</em> This post ought to intimidate the heck out of beginners looking for basic advice.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There's no reason why it should. Every aspiring artist must begin somewhere, and many artists eventually wish to participate in juried exhibitions. Many arts fairs/festivals include juried contests or competitions for participating artists who care to submit their work for that aspect of the show. The annual <a href="http://www.mainstreetartsfest.org/home.aspx">Fort Worth Main Street Arts Festival</a> is juried, including the process of being accepted for the show.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"juried exhibition" is just a high-sounding name for a photo contest.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Usually "juried" means that not everyone gets in. "Contest" means everyone gets in. In a juried exhibition, one judgement is made by someone or some group on whose works are accepted. After that, another person or group decides on the awards.</p>

<p>Look at past submissions if you can, to find a clue about the accepted writing style. There are a couple of different approaches.<br>

Traditionally, they may involve a change in point of view, with first or third person sentence structures.</p>

<ul>

<li>Artist's Bio: third person, (e.g., "He has enjoyed photography for 10 years.") </li>

<li>Artist's Statement: first person, (e.g., "I try to capture those special moments.")</li>

</ul>

<p>Many contemporary bios and statements don't make that distinction, but some do; and, if that's expected, you are going to want to pick up on that and build your submission accordingly.</p>

<p>You don't need a long list of accolades. If you're self-taught; well, at least half the notable artists in history were.</p>

<p>If you think you have no credentials, you're probably wrong. You've done something. If your main accomplishment is that you've worked someplace for 20 years, that counts. Might want to front-load your artistic interests; but, if you don't have very many, no problem. Tell them about yourself. Proceed with confidence. </p>

<p><strong>About the resume:</strong><br>

Hey, a <em>resume</em> is a French word for <strong>summary</strong>. That's it. Resumes are no big deal. It's a quick summary of what you have done. [<em>resume</em> comes from the past participle of the French for "to sum up."]</p>

<p>They just told you to write a summary. You can do it. Proceed with confidence. </p>

<p>Bartender: I'll give you a free beer if you tell me real quick about yourself.<br /> Prospective Employee: I make pictures. I used to sell these fake agreements to people as part of this pyramid scheme. Before that, I went to High-Fallutin' University. I caddied on weekends.</p>

<p>Prospective Employee just spit out his resume. Don't let the fancy word "resume" suck your self confidence out of the equation. You have probably spoken a resume any time you've told somebody what you've done with your life.</p>

<p>Now, the typed one is going to need to be neat. You're going to want to make yours look more like what's expected. Yet, if you start off thinking about it more casually when you're in the brainstorming phase, you might remember some stuff that's important later.</p>

<p>Instead of <em>writing a resume</em>, maybe a good way to start out with that is telling a short list about yourself and what you've done. At its core, that's all a resume really is.</p>

<p>Then go back and revise it to make it look, on the page, more like what's expected.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Thanks, Louie, for posting the question, and thanks to all who took the time to respond. I was preparing to post the same question for the same reason for the same exhibition, but a search of the archives turned up this post.</p>

<p>I, too, will proceed, but I'm not sure if I have the confidence that Louie does. There's a first time for everything.</p>

<p>Joel</p>