Is wearing your camera around your next safe when traveling to a foreign country?

martine_sansoucy

<p>Hi!<br>

I am so incredibly excited! I just booked my first destination wedding for Mexico next April..and I am also planning a trip to Italy for next November with my mom!<br>

What I am interested in knowing, is how do other photographers travel with their cameras? I would love to take lots of street shots, particularly in the markets, and around some of the more desolate areas. Is it acceptable to wear a camera around my neck, or will this be asking for a theft or being robbed? <br>

Any advice for a first time traveler would be great!! I want to get the best shots possible and would love to bring my best camera, but my biggest fear is it being stolen. What are your biggest travel tips?</p>

<p>Thanks so much!<br>

Martine<br>

</p>

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Mexico I can't address, but I have had no problem just about anywhere in Europe. Europe is such a touristy place that a camera is a pretty common sight. Because of this you should be able to get some nice street shots. On my travels, whilst walking about, I always kept the strap around my neck and my hand on the camera. Also, be aware of your surroundings...Is anyone watching you? Don't get into crowded situations...sometimes the bumping together (like on subways) is a perfect cover for ripping you off. Travel with at least one other "wingman/woman"--for more security and because it's more fun, too! Just keep up your "situational awareness" and you should be fine. Have a couple of great trips!</p>

<p>I would camouflage any expensive camera equipment by using a cheap plastic bag from a local store to carry it in such places. Carry *a copy* of your passport and your electronic flight ticket and some spare money in a belly pouch *under* your shirt. Try to look like a local, wear cheap clothes. Check your insurance policy if simple theft is covered. But most important, have fun!</p>

<p>I've worn my camera around my neck in a number of "desolate" (birding) areas of Mexico without incident during trips this past July (Yucatan Peninsula) and January (Western Mexico, as far south as Colima). I've generally, but not always, been in the company of a fellow (male) photographer or two, and only once avoided going, alone, down a certain stretch of country road because an unfamiliar vehicle was parked there, making me feel a bit uncomfortable. Just take the same sensible precautions you'd take if you were in an equivalent area of the USA: being aware of your surroundings, not leaving belongings unattended, etc. I've found the Mexicans to be very welcoming, and the food is great. </p>

<p>As others have said, enjoy these trips! (And bring your longest lens. Even if you're not a wildlife photographer, the birds are fantastic!)</p>

<p>I've been in places where my camera gear represented more than a year's income for many of the local people and I've usually worn the camera gear around my neck. Once, I <em>was</em> warned by a Colombian citizen while I was in Peru not to do that in Bogota, but I did anyway, with no problem.</p>

<p>It's important to be alert to what is going on around you. Never set bags, etc on the ground while you shoot, and keep a firm grip on gear and bags alike. Watch out for people on motor scooters, in many places.</p>

<p>Then again, I'm not a woman, and don't know how that does affect the equation in the particular places you're headed for.</p>

<p>Something on the line of Marcus' suggestions may be a good idea, even in US big cities, for that matter. But the only way to be sure, is not to bring the gear with you in the first place. It's astonishing how well a small viewfinder camera can do for you, but you bought the fancy gear to use, after all. Just check on insurance before you go.</p>

<p>It all depends on the neighborhood and the type of crowd that's around you (or NOT around you). I would be more concerned about a mugging in Newark or Miami than I would in Mexico City. But that's not to say that it doesn't happen in Mexico City, and sometimes the consequences are deadly.</p>

<p>Pickpockets might be more of a problem, because they can strike anywhere. Muggers generally avoid crowded areas; they prefer to prey on isolated victims. Stay near people, use common sense, don't spend time out alone when it's dark, check your valuables immediately if someone bumps into you or tries to distract you with loud talking or an annoying noise, and keep a close eye on ALL of your belongings at all times.</p>

<p>You "booked", so you will get paid.<br />Consult Embassy or Consulate of the country you are going to work, for obtaining a temporary work permit there. This could be just obtaining proper type of visa ? even if you would not need any visa there? Consult local tourist office about it, as they could help get you proper documents, or advice you what to do.</p>

<p>I had to prove upon departure at the Mexico City airport that I did not purchase the equipment in Mexico, or else would had to pay an export fee or have the equipment confiscated. This was perhaps 20 years ago.<br />Obviously I did not have any proof with me that I brought the camera with me from USA. So, any custom declaration upon entry could help with exit.<br />Solution that was disciovered was very simple, a $20 was paid to the person, and no talk, no paper work.</p>

<p>I think that was an isolated incident, since I traveled many times to Mexico later on, and had proper proof of ownership and custom declarations, but was never asked about the equipment again.</p>

<p>I got rolled by 4 guys one night about 9 o'clock on the main street of colonial Santiago, Chile with a nice Sony A100 hanging around my neck. They gently deposited me on the ground, went straight for the cash in my pockets. They didn't bother with the camera. There were 50 locals on the sidewalk within 25 feet of us. Everyone kept walking as if nothing was happening. It was interesting, about 30 seconds before I was rolled, a guy walked up beside me and intentionally bumped into me. I instinctively put my hand in my pocket where the cash was. They went straight for that pocket. As previous posters have pointed out, it is all about common sense, alertness and not dressing flashy with designer labels oozing from your every pore.</p>

<p>If you're leaving from the US, a couple of weeks before you go, register your camera & gear with US Customs - form 4557 (Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad). You need to present the gear to them to have the serial #s recorded and validated on the forms. They then stamp the forms. This way not only do you have a record of items with serial #s with you, but also when returning to the US you don't need to worry about somebody questioning you about taxes and bringing gear into the country. The above suggestions are good ones. I always preferred to carry my camera on a shoulder strap bandoleer fashion, and to keep it under a light jacket if in questionable areas. If headed to Mexico (or elsewhere in the world), check online with the US State Dept. for bulletins on safety where you plan to go....they are updated very frequently...I've used them numerous times overseas, and although they can be a little alarming, being forewarned is a great way to avoid most problems. All said and done, have some great trips.</p>

<p>In addition to the above, make sure your camera strap does not advertise your camera brand. Use a non descript strap, that is comfortable, and strong and conducive to your shooting style while abroad. Check out the Black Rapid straps, especially the ones designed for women, point and shoots, etc.<br>

I use a strap, cover my DSLR and lens with a black neoprene cover to protect it from dust and to hide the brand name. I usually wear a light jacket to hide the camera when needed, sneak it into museums, protect it from rain, etc.<br>

If you use a fanny pack, backpack, etc or any other such carry system, make sure it comes with two zippers for each compartment so you can attach a safety pin or small lock to prevent someone from trying to open it on the metro or when you get distracted. <br>

Joe Smith</p>

<p>wow, thank you so much for all of your responses! Yes, I think the first thing to do is get camera insurance and make sure I have copies of the receipts for the camera and equipment to prove I bought it here in Canada. The no-name camera strap is an excellent idea, and carrying copies of your passport/info, as well as trying to blend in. I am possibly the most paranoid person in the world so keeping my eyes open won't be a problem haha!<br>

As for Mexico, the bride is actually from Mexico herself and I will be surrounded by her family (locals) for the majority of the trip so I don't have too many concerns but to be aware. It's Italy I am more concerned about..I have heard the subways and public transportation is bad, but it's interesting that most locals tend to leave the camera alone!<br>

The biggest thing I've decided to do is to have TONES of memory cards stashed in an inside pants pocket and change them frequently, especially if I feel like I have an epic shot on it. That way, if my camera gets stolen..I still have the memory cards!!<br>

And yes, I definitely agree a point and shoot would be the more logical choice, but I have been waiting my whole life to visit these places and I want my best equipment with me to capture them :-)<br>

What kinds of equipment would you suggest bringing?</p>

<p>Martine, I live in Italy,and well, I find your fears a bit unfounded. Let's be clear: yes, you can get mugged. Like you can everywhere on any continent. But, despite frequent use, I still have my camera, no matter how I wore it. Yes, subways are tricky - like everywhere. Just watch your bag and stay cool. Public transport in Italy is not that bad at all. A bit chaotic, but that's more the timetable ;-) Trying to act like an Italian - don't bother. If you visit the big cities, people are used to tourists. The level of income and life standard in large parts of Europe is as good or better than the US. So, the whole idea that we're here in desperate need to take your cameras - no, we already have our own ;-) Really, Italy is no more dangerous than big cities on other continents.</p>

<p>So, just behave normal and use your common sense. And please do not forget: most people are great and mean well - everywhere.</p>

<p>I would, however, not stash the memory cards in your pockets. It's called pickpockets for a reason (which, by the way, in many of the large tourist sites in Italy is not that big an issue - a lot of police on the hunt for the pickpockets). Just use a normal camera bag which closes properly and hold it with a hand (shoulderbags fall too easy).</p>

<p>And whatever you do, <em>doan dreenk da watah, maing!</em> That's not just a joke, it is very sound advice. Montezuma's Revenge (staph aureus food poisoning) can ruin your day, or week rather, as it is a self limiting disease that make take a week to resolve itself. DO NOT drink any water that is not bottled and DO NOT drink anything with ice in it. I would be wary of fresh salad greens too, as they could have been washed (or even worse NOT WASHED) in contaminated water.</p>

<p>A word to the wise, from someone who learned the hard way. I should have known better anyway, since I am a degreed microbiologist. Shame on me for not being a lot more suspicious.</p>

<p>No problems on many trips to Mexico, though you should realize, as another person mentioned, that a DSLR+lens can represent a huge amount of money to many Mexicans. I mention this simply because of the issues it raises in dealing with people, and trust you'll be sensitive. (Imagine how odd it would feel talking to someone with $100,000 in cash taped to their shirt...)<br>

Mexicans have often politely warned me and my family about the danger of thieves and pickpockets, but we've never had any actual trouble and have always felt vastly safer there (at least before the drug war insanity) than in most parts of the US.<br>

While you don't mention children, I'll also say it's very safe and pleasant traveling there with them. Unlike the US, Mexico really has a family values culture, and you feel it immediately when you're with small children there.</p>

<p> I eat fresh fruits and vegetables all the time when I'm in Mexico--in the company of an ornithologist and sometimes also with his friend, a retired professor of microbiology--and have not had the slightest problem that way. Whether from a resort restaurant on Isla Holbox or a village tienda in El Tuito, it's all been delicious. I adore pico de gallo... But of course, intestinal distress can happen most anywhere, so eat only what you feel comfortable with.</p>

<p>I strongly second Scott's suggestion about bottled water. Tap water in Mexico is fine for washing, brushing your teeth, and cooking, but not otherwise.</p>

<p>I'd worry more about your pocketbook than your camera. I was pickpocketed in Brussels about 5 years ago. It happened in the middle of the afternoon a block from the central square on a summer afternoon in the middle of a big crowd. Of course I looked like a tourist: I had my camera around my neck, a backpack and a roller bag. These two guys ahead of me were acting like they were playing around, pushing each other, which gave them the excuse to push into me. My wallet was in my back pocket and while pushed against me, one of them deftly lifted my wallet out. I didn't feel them take it. But right after it happened, I reached back to feel for it and found it missing. Both of them were right there in front of me and immediately took off running in different directions. I didn't know which one had it, and then didn't want to leave my luggage, camera, or backpack to chase after them. I yelled for some help, but no one was willing to trip them as they ran past. Now I carry my wallet in my front pocket. Obviously they were pros, who knew how to do it. I'm still surprised they could lift my wallet out without my even feeling it!</p>