Is this good?

kevin_maguire1

<p>Nikon F3HP (F3 with "high eyepoint" long eye relief finder), 50mm f/1.4 AI or AI-S Nikkor (not sure which) and MD-4 motor drive. Excellent 35mm SLR, was my first Nikon, tho' mine came with the 50/2 AI Nikkor.</p>

<p>What are you wanting to know about the photo itself?</p>

<p>I`d say the lens is an Ai version (hollow coupling piece).<br /> BTW, I like the shot, definitely the subject is not the person but the camera... the man`s smile is enough to make in the viewer a possitive impression about that camera. With the men`s eyes inside the frame, our mind would go directly to them... making it a very different photo. Maybe I find the earphones a bit distracting.</p>

It shows a photog looking happy as a clam holding a great camera. Whatever about the quality of the picture, it warms my

cockles, so it can't be bad. F3HP/MD-4 with a Nikkor 50/1.4 AI. Lens

sn suggests it's from the early/mid 80's- same vintage as the camera. The pic is far more recent,though. The dude's wearing a pair of late model iPod headphones.

<blockquote>

<p>My friend asked me if this was a good shot and I do not know, so is it? Also what camera is in the shot? <a rel="nofollow" href="http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs532.snc3/30228_394921331291_503391291_4699161_4592439_n.jpg">(link)</a></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Your friend asked <strong>YOU</strong> if the shot was good, not any of us. The F3 is great for certain things but lousy for others.</p>

<p>And, Dave, just try out a leica M. It has a great VF for 35/50mm but it isn't all that special...just another way of seeing.</p>

<p>Personally, I prefer the standard DE-2 eye-level finder rather than the HP finder, even though I wear glasses. The larger image magnification of the DE-2 is far superior in my opinion. I never understood the popularity of the HP finder with people who don't wear glasses and don't need the eye relief. </p>

<p>I don't get the picture, but that certainly doesn't mean it's bad.</p>

<p><em>"... try out a leica M. It has a great VF for 35/50mm but it isn't all that special... "</em><br /> Agree. Sincerely, I`m more comfortable with the common Mamiya RF viewfinders, althought I think it`s not what you want to mean... :)<br />Under certain conditions and low light levels, RF patches works much better than a rough GG screen on SLR/DSLR cameras.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I never understood the popularity of the HP finder with people who don't wear glasses and don't need the eye relief."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Long eye relief finders are great for handheld and candid photography in situations where it's good to preserve peripheral vision. No need to mash the camera against my face to see the whole frame. And since I'm left eye dominant I'm essentially blinded in the right eye with cameras that don't have long eye relief finders. Really helps when taking photos in crowds. I'm less likely to accidentally elbow or bump into someone else.</p>

<p>Yeah great camera. Well it was great until I dropped it and it landed on the prism. Never was the same after that and I got rid of it. But, I'm still trying to figure out what the point of this thread is. Are we disscusing the OP's friends' photo or Nikon F3's or viewfinders and Leicas and Mamayias...?</p>

<p>the camera is a good camera, if you don't want to use a flash. iv'e owned and used one extensively, and liked it alot, although i prefer the f4. the f3's viewfinder is a far cry from any of the leica m camera's however, and focusing is not as accurate either. but the viewfinder is a step up from the d3.<br>

the photo is a fairly standard snapshot from a digicam.</p>