Is there a chicken in my PC?

<p>Did this happen to anyone? I have Windows 7 Pro and an Epson 3800 Pro printer. The other day suddenly a white warning box came on saying something along this line:<br /> “No connection to (Printer Name)” alongside a very unpleasant, constant beeping. It sounded like somebody stepped on a chicken’s foot and he was not too happy.<br /> Even if I shut off the warning, the shrieking sound stayed on and I just couldn’t find how to turn it off. After reboot the warning box and sound came back. Finally I had enough and restored my PC to an earlier backup. The sound is gone now.<br>

By the way, regardless what the warning had said I had connection to the printer.<br>

Any ideas?<br>

Thanks,<br>

GS</p>

<p>No, I built the PC myself in January and the only problem I have is with the printer.<br>

These are my components, so I don’t have HP parts as far as I know.</p>

<p>Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1<br>

Asus P8Z68 DELUXE Motherboard<br>

Intel Core i7-2600 3.4Gh CPU<br>

Corsair (4x4GB) XMS3 Memory<br>

Intel SSD 120 MB Hard drive for C:\<br>

ASUS ENGTX550 Ti Video Card</p>

<p>Oh Yes, I am innocent. I bought the Windows 7 Pro software legally and I only have it on one machine.<br /> I built the box in January and the only problem I had so far is an update triggered printer driver corruption a few days ago that I fixed.</p>

<p>I do have a wireless HP Envy printer that is off most of the time. This particular PC doesn’t have wireless and the HP printer is not installed on it.<br /> The “Chicken Shriek” warning (All white box w/ a red speaker and a red sideways Chevron to change the size) was about the Epson 3800 Pro printer connection although I did have that connection.</p>

<p>The most disturbing was that even after I turned the warning notice off the sound still continued even after a reboot. I couldn’t find the source of the beep. It was the most annoying sound. I don’t know what agenda the software designers have to terrorize people.</p>

<p>One possibility could be that somehow the printer stream was diverted to the sound card or internal speaker. Since the printer queue is kept until cancelled or printed, that could explain why it survived a reboot. Check the printer and soundcard drivers aren't sharing an IRQ or something silly.</p>