Is B&H better than Adorama?

Just put in a big film order from Adorama. Normally I use B&H but

Adorama was a little cheaper on the films I was buying, some 120 side

TMY, a 50-pack of XP-2, and some Fuji Press 800.

Now that I have placed my order I get an email saying that the TMY and

XP-2 are back ordered.

Note than the B&H web site tells you all that up front.

Nice.

Adorama seems to be earning a reputation along that line...it's been discussed periodically wtr new scanners...they could fix that reputation instantly by announcing that they are linking their inventory data to their sales data, the way B&H seems to and the way giant Amazon and little KEH obviously does...it'd be good marketing.

B&H has earned the public's trust by "taking care of business". Adorama is a throw back operation to the "way it was".

I have seen many people go storming out of that little shop downtown. I have had a few red flag alerts while shopping there myself. In all honesty though, I have orderd a few items(under $100) from them online and the sales all went down smooth.

Over the past year, I have bought 4 used items from Adorama via their ebay auctions. Of those four, two turned out OK, but 2 did not. One of the items was a Hasselblad 120 Film Back that after a few months developed a stripped gear. I had only put 2 rolls of film through the back after receiving it. At the time, I thought it was a fluke. But in the most recent incident, I purchased a used Mamiya M645 1000s body from them. When I received it, aside from the self-timer not working (not mentioned in the auction description), the shutter seemed to be working properly. But after I tried one roll of film (the day after receiving the camera), the shutter suddenly became stuck. Now every time I advance the film, the shutter immediately fires when the shutter is brought to the ready position.

I tried calling their Customer Service telephone line to obtain an RMA so that I could return the item. However, I could never get through to a live person. I just kept getting an automated message stating that all operators are busy due to a high call volume. I tried calling at different times of the day & was on hold a total of over 45 minutes. At that point, I simply gave up and called my credit card company to see if they could do something about it.

I would avoid purchasing any used equipment from them, as they seem to sell broken equipment that has been repaired, and only to the point that it will work until their return policy expires. Not a pleasant experience. Needless to say, I won't be buying from them anymore.

Web purchases from Adorama are risky because (unlike B&H) there is no notification whether an item is in stock. Nor is there any way to follow up on the status of an order other than by calling. B&H wins an all counts in this regard. With Adorama, the first notification you get is when the order is shipped.

However, Adorama has been perfectly reliable in delivering as promised. I take the defensive posture of calling in my orders, and specifically asking if the item is in stock. I've gone ahead anyway with a couple of back-ordered items, finding that B&H could have delivered in half the time.

The only company I would recommend for used equipment is KEH, because of their gimlet-eyed rating system, reliability and outstanding customer service.

I go along with what Terry said: I've had good deals and good after-sales service on used equipment from Adorama when I've gone to the shop but I wouldn't trust their descriptions on eBay.

As far as film and paper sales go, I've never had any real problem. Often they appear to be rather rude, then turn out to be as genuinely helpful and interested as you could hope for. The only place I've ever had totally rude service in New York was at Lens and Repro - after my third bad experience I finally realised that they didn't want my business. I'm happy to go to B&H or Adorama, whichever is nearest.

Best, Helen

I wouldn't buy USED items online from either. If I buy USED online, I go to keh.com.

If an item I want is listed at the same price at B&H and Adorama, I go to B&H.

The only times these days that I buy from Adorama is for items they have that B&H does not, or some darkroom chemicals that Adorama will ship, but for some reason, B&H won't.

Well guys, I don't get a kickback but I'm the second generation photgrapher in my family using Calumet. I have used them on and off for 30 years and so has another relative (a professional and graduate of Brooks) with no problem whatsoever!

No bad comments about B&H or Adorama is intended. I just like the service from Calumet.

Ron Mowrey

My 2 cents

Adorama - The few times I ordered from them there was a wait of about 5 days before they shipped. No real problems, though.

B&H - Never had a problem. Quick shipping. When I ordered a Quantum battry pack by phone, they double checked to make sure I ordered the right cable for it (I did).

Calumet - No problems. Quick shipping. I've been in the Chicago store a few times & the folks there are outstanding. Very patient, and once suggested a lower priced alternative to something I was going to buy.

B&H has a better web site than Adorama (particularly the indicator about whether products

are in stock). But as companies ... I've ordered film and gear from both over the years, and

have never had any problems. In certain items, one or the other has a better selection.

Other than than, they're Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum in my opinion.

B&H is great. Even the one time I did actually have a problem they made it right, promptly, and without any pain in the @ss.

I have occasionally bought items from Adorama, but found it quite annoying to have some items back ordered without being notified in advance like B&H does.

I pretty much stick with B&H, or Freestyle for cheap arista film that used to be repackaged Ilford.

I have had nothing but good experiences with B+H. I once placed a rather large order online and they actually got in contact with me to make sure someone wasn't using a stolen credit card. Its nice to know they bothered to care. I also received a defective polarizer and was promptly shipped a replacement within a few days. Unfortunately I've had a few experiences with Adorama that resembled feeble attempts at your classic Bait and Switch routine. Not as bad as some NYC camera shops that you hear about, but disconcerting to say the least.

I remember about 2 weeks ago posting my comments about Adorama. I would never buy

used from them sight unseen. Luckily, I live in New York and will stop by to inspect an

item I'm interested in.

On one occasion, the salesman has stood there with a smile on his face telling me that the

lens I was looking at was in excellent condition and did not have fungus in it, when I was

clearly looking at it. Also, he didn't think I'd notice the chip/nick on the glass of the lens

(who would sell garbage like this is beyond me).

Another time, I was in the market for a new lighting kit, Smith-Victor. I checked both B&H

and Adorama's website for prices. I was torn between both stores (the item was new).

B&H had a nice kit and so did Adorama. But Adorama had a similar kit for about $20

cheaper (I know, somebody kick me please). They both appeared to be in stock.

After a few days of throwing the idea back and forth, I check the websites again and went

down to Adorama. I wrote down the manufacture?s number because I like to get in and

out without confusion. The salesman told me that the system was not in stock and hadn't

been for a long while. He also stated that he didn't know when they'd have it in stock. Of

course I went through the song and dance of how the website didn't mention that. I

bought another system that was more expensive than either one and didn't appreciate it.

Can you say ... phone first!

Once I mentioned to a salesman that a photo shop down the street was selling a particular lens that I was interested in for $125. The shop I was in was selling it for $150. He asked me why I didn't buy it at the other shop. When I told him that they didn't have one, he told me that if he didn't have the lens, he would sell it for $120.
James G. Dainis

I have shopped at both via the web & by phone. Both have treated me well and have

met my expectations. I have bought both new, used camera gear and accessories

from both - no problems. B&H ships a little faster but charges immediately, whereas

Adorama charges WHEN they ship. I have no complaints about either. KEH has been

stellar as well for used gear. I had one problem on one transaction and they jumped

to fix it when asked. Film I mostly buy elsewhere, but B&H has been just fine and I DO

like their inventory check at time of sale. Calumet is great too, but a little more

money. Their film is usually fresher and ships faster, but I only live 5 hours from

them vs 24+ hrs from New York.

In general I have had no problems with either with new gear (adorama is slower with the shipping). But have had nothing but problems with both for used gear. I have ordered use equipment 3 times (1 from Adorama and twice from B7H). In all cases the equipment wasn't as described, and didn't work. B&H was extremely helpful and quick in refunding my money with no hassle. Adorama on the other hand went so far as to accuse me of breaking the item (it didn't work when I opened the box), but after 6 weeks of me calling every day, they finally agreed to refund my money and it only took another 6 weeks of me calling almost everyday for them to actually refund it (they tried the old we never agreed to a refund routine, let that be a reminder to always take down the name of the person you are talking too as well as day and time).

• 2 months later...
I have mixed feelings about Adorama.... film is great to buy there since their film is so cheap compared to others. In terms of service... I have to say it really really sucks to the core. The sales person I talked to thought he was god. When I asked him to repeat what he said since i was on cellphone with bad reception, he gave me an extremely bad attitude -.- Beyond the point, One of my equipment was place on back order for... well... it's been 3 weeks now and I havent gotten a word from them. SO yeah, mixed feelings