IR photography on a beach

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has attempted to photograph beaches/sand with IR

film. More specifically, I was wondering if anyone knew how much IR sand

reflects. I'm aiming for a white sand with deep black skies look. If IR won't

work, would the standard B+W yellow/orange/red filters achieve the look? The

sand is the standard yellow/brown type. Thanks for any advice!

well considering that visible light exposures are a stop faster on the beach than sunny 16, i

would say it reflects more IR too.

unless you are looking for the white vegetation look, try the red 25 or 29 filter, or 25+ pol,

all of which will bring the sky down alot. R25 is 3 stops, 29 is 4 stops, R25+p is 4.5 stops.

for all of those filters, add another stop of light due to heavy shadow darkening.

I never thought about the photoplankton! It would be really cool if sand absorbs all IR (goes black) and the photoplankton reflects IR so you get these patches of weird glowing stuff in the photo ;)

I have a feeling that sand should have roughly the same reflectivity as normal rock or brick. How do bricks/rocks look on IR film?

I've done tons of IR on the beach...the sand can look normal, light or dark, depending on manyh things, so that is hard to say. The cool thing is most seaweed reflects TONS of IR, so dark rock-week, kelp and the like are VERY different in IR...and of course, the ocean goes dark, near back, as it absorbs IR very well!<div>00LKVR-36754784.jpg.3ff4cbc58ffaac62e898bfd98fb7c3d6.jpg</div>

So just a quick question about IR... I hear it's strongest in the early morning and later in the afternoon. What times of day exactly would those be?

Or, you can more or less shoot IR anytime the sun is out... the effect will just be stronger at certain times of the day?

Thanks for the responses!

So, sand under IR can be any colour... Not quite what I was hoping for. But with seaweed reflecting IR, it could make for some interesting stuff! I guess as always, I will be best to shoot and learn. Problem is that my desired location is about 9hrs away and IR film (HIE) goes for the equivalent of $20 here!