infrared in medium format

john_boyd9

<p>Hello All<br>

I want to experiment with infrared film on a medium format camera (hasselblad 503cw) for a school project. I'm planning on buying Rollei/AGFA Infrared 120 from B&H. I'm very new to infrared photography so I'm wondering if i need a filter for my hasselblad in order to shoot an infrared picture? Can i go on without a filter for my lens? <br>

Thanks in advance</p>

<p>You can use Rollei IR 400 films without filter with very good B & W negatives @ iso 400, for infrared, a filter is needed . . The R72 would be a good choice to start IMO, not too expensive and rated @ iso 12 I 've found it interesting. </p>

<p>Keep in mind that its hard to frame a shot with an SLR with a visible light blocking filter in front of the lens. For unknown reasons nobody makes IR filters with a hinged holder to flap them into place just before the shot. So you'll need a tripod and maybe an additional sports finder if you plan to shoot slightly moving subjects. - IR film needs IR filters for real IR photography an alternative to putting those in front of your lens would be using infrared light sources there used to be coated flash bulbs maybe there are filters to be put in front of your strobes? - some folks experimented with tabletop photography lit by medical red lights (meant to cure muscular aching / rheumatism & such at home). There might be more sources of photographically usuable IR light available. - Ldedicated LEDs to light the view of active night vision systems come to mind. Bottom line: It does not matter where you cut out the visible light. in broad daylight there is no way around using a filter on your lens if you set up lights in the dark things are different.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Older IR films were blue (and IR) sensitive, and used a red filter. (and that was rangefinder days!)<br>

More recent ones have enough visible sensitivity that you should block pretty much all visible, though that complicates SLR use.</p>

-- glen