inexpensive with fast shutter speed

<p>I'm looking for a camera that won't break the bank but has a faster shutter speed for taking pics of a moving toddler. I now have a cannon a5 that I really like, but it can't capture a pic of my granddaughter who is always on the move or turns her head before the shot, etc. I'd like to spend less than 400.00. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!</p>

<p>It's not fast shutter speed you need, but low shutter lag.</p>

<p>Try looking at comparative reviews at dpreview.com or similar to find the camera with the least shutter lag time.</p>

<p>Most DSLRs have very low lag times, but few will fit your $400 budget. Most digicams have long lag times, but many will fit your budget.</p>

<p>As Michael says, you may need to look at previously owned DSLRs to get within your desired budget.</p>

<p><Chas><br /><br /></p>

<p>Try to find a Nikon 40D with a kit lens. Should be the best thing you can find on your budget for kid pictures. A P&S will kill you with the shutter lag. You'll end up with a lot of pictures that weren't what you intended and feeling frustrated. Good luck!</p>

<p>Your problem arises from the fact that you are expecting the camera to do everything for you.<br>

If you stop using auto and work in manual mode and anticipate the action your existing camera will get the shots for you. Your subject material is HARD but that means you need to use photographic skill to get results. Even if you don't have manual modes in your camera it will capture action if you anticpate and use 'half-trigger' to set the camera up before the 'event' happens. Then as to if you get the shot or not is largely your own reaction time rather than the camera. Once the camera is set-up using half trigger the final depression and taking the photo is as quick as a 'flash'. You need to learn how to hold half-trigger until the action happens, then complete full pressure.<br>

Hope this helps becuase so often people think another 'better' camera will solve their problems when really a little bit of technique is what they really need ... and the 'better' camera doesn't bring home the bacon any better.</p>

<p>I will try to help with both lag and shutter speed. If you search, you can find a used Nikon D70 that has quick response and up to 1/8000th of a second shutter speed if needed. I doubt you would need that much speed, but it has it. It will also mount all AF lenses from Nikon. And yes, I own one. My son took it from me and called it his own. He loves it. Camera with 28-80mm lens from Ebay. I paid around $280.00</p>

<p>Any cheap 35mm point & shoot camera will do this easily... then all you have to do is drop the film off at one-hour processing, and pick it up later. It's so easy.<br>

To do the same thing in digital without having to resort to pre-setting exposure and manual focus, you need a lot of expensive digital horsepower... usually at least an entry-level DSLR. It can be done with a compact P&S sized digital camera, but only if you can do it all manually.</p>

<p>The main problem P&S users have with shutter lag is that they don't know how the auto focus feature works. The camera must focus before taking a photo and when you push the button it focuses, then takes the photo, causing the lag. Most people that don't have an SLR don't realize that holding the shutter button halfway enables the auto focus, then pushing it all the way takes the photo and solves the lag problem. If you push the shutter button down you should feel a spot about halfway where it gets a little stiffer. Hold the shutter here at all times then all the way down to snap the pic. See if that helps get more instant photos.</p>

<p>Nathan, the OP shoots moving toddler, your prefocus technique won't work well. He needs camera that can do servo focus, decent fps helps too. Even higher end P&S such as my couple years old G10 still have some lag after locking focus or manual focus and preset WB.</p>

<p>B W, Try getting a Olympus 4/3 DSLR. I saw some sites offering a "new" E-520 with kit lens for $450 or so.<br>

Canon also sells refurbished Rebel XS with kit IS lens for $400 here<br>

<a href="http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_204269_-1">http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_204269_-1</a></p>

<p>Good luck</p>