In Praise of the Yashica-12

I was lucky enough to find this excellent example of the Yashica-12 TLR a few weeks ago.

1063381171_YashicaPnetMain.thumb.jpg.5ac2cb3b0a330ce67a4a49d6dfa951be.jpg

Strangely, the camera arrived missing the accessory shoe. Just how one loses an accessory shoe screwed firmly to the body is rather a mystery, unless the shoe was removed to use on some other camera. However, the illustrious Mark Hama was able to supply a replacement, including a slight over-supply of the very tiny screws, a thoughtful gesture! Anyway, the camera is now complete and I've run three or four films through it and I have to say I'm impressed. I'd always thought of the Yashica TLRs as being cheap knock-offs of the Rolleiflexes, but I've had to upgrade my opinion. While it's very obviously a Rollei copy, this is one solid, well-finished camera with very smooth mechanism, a nice bright viewfinder, a great lens and a light meter that is alive and surprisingly accurate. Here's a pic of the two sides.

1594638156_Yashica12Pnet002.thumb.jpg.0b5ee9061a183c2aaea75a9ed44fd0ba.jpg

The light meter runs on a 1.5v button cell and fires up when the viewing hood is raised, a clever and convenient design. The meter appeared to be dead on arrival, and I had to access the innards by removing the viewfinder, and then cleaning the little copper switch contacts. I cleaned up the underside of the viewing screen and dusted the mirror while I had things apart. The meter is a match-needle affair typical of the era, linked to aperture and shutter, and is just as accurate as my Weston Euro-Master in an averaging, reflective sort of way.

1357538266_MeterPnet.jpg.0d2e13179fa7a1502d6738dffa3d2b6b.jpg

And how does it compare to my Rollei Automat K4? Frankly, the results from the two cameras are almost impossible to tell apart. Both have Tessar-formula lenses, and both produce very sharp and contrasty images. I'm of the opinion that the 80mm Yashinon f/3.5 lens produces less barrel distortion than the 75m Tessar T f/3.5, but otherwise they're pretty much neck and neck. The Seiko SV shutter on the Yashica is every bit as smooth and silent as the Synchro Compur on the Rolleiflex, and the Yashica uses the same bayonet system as the Rolleiflex for attaching accessories. The Yashica has by far the brighter focusing screen. It's also a slightly bigger, heavier camera with chunkier knobs, a feature my big hands feel more at home with, and the film wind feels as strong and reliable as the Rollei's. The standard of finish falls a little behind the perfection of the Rolleiflex, but certainly not by an annoying degree.

The most sought-after Yashica TLR is the Yashica Mat 124G, the last in the line of Yashica TLR. The only real differences between that and the Yashica-12 is the 124G's ability to use either 120 or 220 film, a more extensive use of plastic components and an all-black face-lift. I've handled both, and the Yashica-12 feels a far sturdier machine. My experience with TLR cameras was somewhat elevated by owning the excellent Mamiya C330 and a few of it's fine interchangeable lenses; after that no fixed-lens TLR was ever quite the same. However, I've really enjoyed the hassle-free fun of loading a film into the Yashica, leaving the exposure meters at home and just going down town to take pictures. It's a very satisfying camera, indeed. I'll post a selection of images; most were shot on Arista EDU Ultra 100 and developed in PMK Pyro.

@Providore

@Providore.thumb.jpg.23ec21a74eb69e5f69db1c6a5a038944.jpg

37.thumb.jpg.81c8a107bb4f899adbc1ef1307d8fb19.jpg

Classic

Classic.thumb.jpg.40adb24d01686636aad9c0a523e883ab.jpg

Copper Beech

920875410_CopperBeech.thumb.jpg.86b49e8a903e573413fcc275653e757b.jpg

Late August

193810343_LateAugust.thumb.jpg.f416af93b519e84e031c5ea1c6798fef.jpg

Structures

Structures.thumb.jpg.15d481e9e056ade1f44b2c0544892d4a.jpg

Who needs Photoshop?

1254555747_WhoneedsPhotoshop.thumb.jpg.c2357524e3b34423601e6e03f89bcb65.jpg

The Swan

1325861831_TheSwan.thumb.jpg.b72b2bb9871381d8846a40809dc74088.jpg

• Like 5

The Yashica-12 is one of the best Japanese "poor mans Rolleiflex" TLR options out there, and you found a beautiful example (from performance to cosmetics). Tack sharp results from this Yashinon, really nice!

I briefly owned a 124G thirty years ago when you could still buy them new for $179. It was my first 6x6 camera, and I didn't enjoy it much (was too used to Nikon F2 SLR handling, didn't care for the plastic-infused build quality, and couldn't get a grip on the square format). Many years later I picked up a Mamiya C220 and finally got the TLR bug. I've had my eye on the Yashica12 as a nicer-built 124G for a long time, as a more portable backup TLR, but haven't yet found one at the right price/condition. You've inspired me to look harder!

I've had my eye on the Yashica12 as a nicer-built 124G for a long time, as a more portable backup TLR, but haven't yet found one at the right price/condition. You've inspired me to look harder!

This one is neat and low priced. The shutter won't fire - handy with the tools ?

Yashica 12 doppeläugige 6x6 Mittelformatkamera | eBay

Excellent camera, write-up and pics Rick. One thing I'm currently learning is how to composed subjects to best fit in the 6x6 format. You seem to have that sorted

The most sought-after Yashica TLR is the Yashica Mat 124G....

Not sure why.

I owned one for all of two weeks and sold it out of disgust.

I inherited, and still own, a Yashicamat from 1959. It still works perfectly, and the lens is fine.

The 124G OTOH, has a rubbishy meter that 'sees' light from well outside the frame area, and the lens isn't even as sharp as that on my old 1959 'mat.

So let the 124G have its undeserved 'status' and reputation. It leaves far better Yashi TLRs lurking in its shade to be picked up at a reasonable price!

Nice tonality in those pictures BTW Rick.

Nice tonality in those pictures BTW Rick.

+10: your camera testing pics beat many "serious" pics I've seen, including my own. ;)

Many thanks (again) for being one of the primary long-term attractions here on p-net!

This one is neat and low priced. The shutter won't fire - handy with the tools ?

Yashica 12 doppeläugige 6x6 Mittelformatkamera | eBay

Thanks, kmac! That sure is a beauty, but seller won't ship to USA. I'll keep looking, they turn up at good prices stateside every few weeks (usually when I'm not actively in a buying mood). Initially I was leaning toward a Minolta Autocord: the Rokkor glass is about as good as anyone ever put in Japanese fixed-lens TLR. But they got muy pricey over the past year or so, and I don't trust the Achilles Heel focus lever. Meanwhile, I just picked up a bargain, really nice example of scarce Mamiya C220f (the last revision with super-bright RZ67 screen tech). It has a minor but puzzling focus rack issue I think I'm gonna start a thread on, to see if anyone has suggestions re what might be the cause (and cure).

My 124 got me through high school and a lot of yearbook photos. Always liked it better than the plasticy G version. Traded it in on a Mamiya C2 or similar, with much worse lenses. Eventually got a C330 with better lenses, but I'll always look favorably on the 124. The 12 should be every bit as good. I've also got a little grey 44, but have never put a roll through it.

Meanwhile, I just picked up a bargain, really nice example of scarce Mamiya C220f (the last revision with super-bright RZ67 screen tech). It has a minor but puzzling focus rack issue I think I'm gonna start a thread on, to see if anyone has suggestions re what might be the cause (and cure).

The only TLR I have is a Mamiya C3 which I haven't used for years but there seems to be no design flaws that I can see or have experienced. Real heavy though, like carrying a Sherman tank around, and awkward to hold without a decent handle grip attached. It's just parked in the display cabinet ready to be sold off and replaced with something lighter in weight and brighter screen

As much as I'd like to use the C3, I nearly always grab one of my Mamiya Press cameras. I took my customized Press (in avatar) out last week for a trial run and your suggested fitting of the RB67 6x8 motorized back has turned the camera into something really exceptional to use. But I like and prefer rack and pinion focusing which means there will always be a TLR and Koni Omega in my camera arsenal. Now if only I could fit rack and pinion focusing to my Mamiya Press .....

Just an aside to kmac: the final revision Mamiya C220f amd C330s have much brighter totally contemporary screens: much more usable indoors with the slower f/4.5 wide and portrait lenses. I owned both models for some years along with the more common original C220 (no f), but found I absolutely never used the 330 and sold it earlier this year: too heavy, hate the "agricultural" crank wind feel, and the nice clever parallax/exposure feature in the 330 finder is negated by having to remember to reset the focal length dial and rotating footage rod for every lens.

With a few weeks practice, the at-a-glance engraved lines in the finder and convenient printed side scales of the C220 become more intuitive/quick than the "automated" 330, wind knob feel is smooth/faster. and its a heck of a lot lighter to carry. Nowhere as light as a Yashica-12, which is why I want one of those as a backup. But not the brick of the C330 or hopeless cinderblock of the C3 either: C220f cuts weight via simplified non-auto mechanics, and the same plastic-itis as the RZ67 and later iterations of M645 (a much heavier grade plastic, far sturdier than a Yashicamat 124G or other late Mamiyas).

Edited by orsetto

Others mentioned the Yashica-Mat 124. I think this followed the 12 as it does allow both 120/220 with a movable plate in the interior, While my example is also in great shape, it flares frequently and I am rarely pleased with the results. I have a Rolleiflex T, an early 1960s model with a dumbed down shutter, the Tessar is quite ok. I also own both a Yashica C, and D. The Yashica D which was probably my third camera in the early 1980s for USD80,00 has always been great with it's Yashikor Triplet. The Yashica C has seen little exposure (pun intended) but it seems capable as well.

Rick D your work, as others mentioned is always a treat and you don'T disappoint this time either...and also your "example" is astonishingly in excellent nick...I recall someone asking if you had a time travel machine to retrieve these examples from their original era... Haaha

This reminds me of shooting basketball games back in high school, maybe '71/'72. The local newspaper photographer was usually there with a Rolleiflex and "potato masher" Strobonar. I was there with with my Yashica, screw-on grip and Vivitar 285 (or was it 185?). The flash was obscure, not hinged like the more modern 285, but it had a very high guide number, so pretty good reach. No examples online that I've ever seen. You'd follow the action down the court- remember the image is reversed and moving backwards, so it takes a bit of practice to do this. At the same time, you'd manually track the focus. Got some pretty good shots. Usually shot 2 rolls of 120 Tri-X and would get maybe 3-5 keepers.

Very nice pics Rick !

I'm on my 2nd Yashica 12 and have been happy with the quality of the pictures it produces. Like yours, the meter took a little work to resurrect but it was otherwise in excellent condition, - although I did need to re-stich the case.

I agree that it's a good value since it's essentially a better built 124G without the ability to shoot 220 film which is hard to find anyway. There is one other rumored advantage to the 124G. Apparently it's got some additional baffling to reduce flare. Some people have flocked the insides of their 12s to minimize the problem but it's not been much of an issue for me. I use the little hood often, - at least when I remember to bring it.

From an ergonomic standpoint TLRs are not my favorite, but I get comments from people just about every time I bring it out.

Back in the day Yashica couldn't name their competition in ad copy, but it was pretty obvious in a 1950's Yashica ad that Rollei was the target. Their slogan suggested that for the price of a TLR in the $150 class (likely a Rolleicord) you could buy two Yashicamats: one to give and one to keep for yourself.

My first try at medium format was to take a few photos through my dad's Mamiya C33. During the early days of the family camera shop we sold a few 124G's and I ran a few rolls through the display. I never felt like I could focus it as precisely as a 35mm SLR. Years later when I picked one up again, I realized that just needed to practice. During the late 80's I bought a Yashica D from a repair company that had bought up the D's from a nearby university that had quit using them. For 60 USD I picked one up that had been CLD'd and looked nice. Still have it today. The Yashicor (triplet) does need to be stopped down a bit for best results.