Images in Camera LCD look correct, in LR, they are darker

bdp

I didn't see a similar post during a search, but if I missed it, my apologies.

I've noticed that if I look at the LCD on the back of the 20D, the exposures

look correct, and the histo- looks ok, nothing over/under exposed.

The problem seems to be that when I import into LR, the images are darker than

in the view finder. It seems to be consistent and if I correct one, I can

apply those settings to pretty much all the othre images and they, all of a

sudden, appear correctly exposed.

It seems that in LR, I have to bump the exposure by about .14-.23 add about 10-

15 for the fill light, and brightness about 20-50.

Any ideas why the difference in appearance from camera to LR?

Shots are in RAW.

The settings in LR are prolly different than those in your cam. you mmight have the brightness of the LCD turned all the way up, also RAW or JPEG, dont forget the cam is showing "processed" image.. what you see in LR, Esp. if its a RAW file, is Waaaay different than what your LCD is showing, then there is the whole 2 in ch LCD Vs. 17 " monnitor, both calibrated differently... there are way to many variables at work here to even worry about, just adjust the file in LR or PS and let the program do what you bought it for so you can worry more about shooting.

Hi Bob,

I agree that it's not a good idea to judge images based upon the camera's LCD. I think most say to set it to the middle brightness level, but even then it's strongly influenced by ambient light when you go to use it.

Instead keep using the histogram as you have been, for more accurate exposure info.

But, still, it may not be the camera at all.

Some other possibilities:

I don't use Lightroom, but the image handling softwares I use allow you to choose default preview settings or "as shot", or other custom made settings. Look for that in the "preferences" area of your image browser.

Another thing that can cause a mismatch is setting the camera to Adobe RGB while using sRGB in your viewing software. However, this usually is pretty obvious with color shifts as well as exposure problems.

Is your computer monitor calibrated? If not, it will give you a false impression of images. Even ambient room lighting can skew what you are seeing on your monitor.

Even with monitor calibration, the program and hardware I use tend to set up the monitor slightly darker than I like. So I usually have to lighten it up a little from the calibrated point. I make a couple test prints and then set the monitor brightness and contrast to better match those. It's never possible to get perfect, because there will always be a difference between the identical image displayed on paper, compared with displaying it on a computer monitor. But, I can get it close enough to be able to accurately predict the results I'll see in final prints, which are my ultimate goal.

It might also be the gamma you have set for use on your monitor. Personally I'm using 2.5 with an older, graphics quality CRT monitor, but a gamma of 2.2 or even 2.0 may be more accurate for you.

The LCD never matches the monitor and should never be used to judge a photo. Your best tool is the histogram (it takes a bit to understand to its fullest) and of course to use it check for bluring and composition. Even the checking for blurring can be a trick as it is not sharp enough to judge critical sharpness but with practice you can tell if your "everyday" shots are "close enough". Never ever judge color with it.

Jason