Image Size

cindy_jorgensen

<p>Image size is, well, the size of the image. It is defined by the total number of pixels in the image.</p>

<p>An 8 megapixel (MP) image has 8 million pixels. A 3 MP image has 3 million pixels. Therefore an 8 megapixel image has more than twice has much information as a 3 megapixel image.</p>

<p>Image size is useful because it dictates the largest print size you can achieve. You'll be able to print a larger image with higher quality by using the largest image size available to you with your camera.</p>

<p>Using a large image size also means you can crop (aka remove part of) your photo and still be able to produce a good print.</p>

<p>In general, there's very little reason to change the image size on your camera from the maximum allowed. If you have an 8 megapixel camera, just leave the setting to 8 MP.</p>

<p>edit: fixed a typo</p>

<p >Image quality will be best if you set your camera so that pictures are stored using the maximum available image bits. So if your camera permits a setting of 16-megapixels, then use it. The only downside will be a reduction in how many pictures your digital chip will hold. So best practice is to set your resolution to maximum and procure a larger memory card. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >The ability to set your camera to a smaller resolution setting is grounded in the high cost of large memory chips. As technology advanced, memory chips got larger so the need to conserve via reduced resolution settings has been skirted.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Likely if you are just making pictures to view on your computer or if you are only making small prints, you will never need all those extra megapixels. However, let’s assume that one of your future pictures is so wonderful that it will be displayed in Grand Central Station on the big-big display. If this happens you will be glad that you saved using the maximum available resolution. </p>

<p>I would guess "Image Quality".</p>

<p>My wife's P&S has 4 settings. High ( 12mp, I think ) all the way down to VGA , which is 640 X 480, the original VGA monitor resolution. I would guess the difference between the 3mp and the 3.2mp is the aspect ratio.</p>

<p> </p>