Image Reduction Optics

bebu_lamar

<p>Remember the old Nikon E2 and E3 which were the early Nikon DSLR's? They have tiny sensor but they have an image reduction optics to reduce the image formed on the lens to fit the sensor so there was no crop factor when using Nikon FX lenses. Doing so also gaining a few stops of light. <br>

I am thinking if Nikon would make an adapter with this kind of optics to use FX lenses on the Nikon 1 and still have the same angle of view as if it's a full frame camera. That's would be very cool.</p>

<p>They could but I doubt Nikon would ever do anything that cool.</p>

<p>The Metabones Speed Booster works the same way BTW.<br /> It reduces FX to DX. Makes lens 0.71x wider. 1 stop more light.<br /> <br /> It's available for a number of mounts but not Nikon 1. It can do Nikon G/F mount to m43 mount, Sony E mount, Fuji X mount, BMCC, BMPCC.</p>

<p>It's manual focus only though.</p>

<p>Nikon could also make a FX to DX converter. Exactly the same optically as the Metabones but with added mechanics for the aperture lever and a chip like they have in their teleconverters. Something like a reversed teleconverter I guess.</p>

<p>That would be pretty nice too!</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>There will always be some image degradation with this sort of device, because it's not integrated into the original design of whatever lens is attached. If that's acceptable, then fine, but personally I don't think I'd be buying one.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The nice thing about a focal reducer is that <strong>aberrations of the original lens will be reduced</strong> as well when the focal length is reduced. So MTF increases compared to shooting without it. But then the focal reducer by itself causes some aberrations so the MTF decreases again.</p>

<p>If the focal reducer is well corrected the end result is that you get <strong>increased image quality</strong>, mostly in the center. Which is what the users of the Metabones adapter have noticed as well.</p>

<p>Here are some more info including MTF graphs:<br /> http://www.metabones.com/assets/a/stories/Speed%20Booster%20White%20Paper.pdf</p>

<p>BTW, reading throw the white paper above I noticed that it was mentioned that it's impossible to make a focal reducer for SLR due to the mirror being in the way. So a Nikon FX to DX focal reducer will never happen until Nikon DX goes mirrorless.</p>

<p>Never saw and E2 or E3 in the flesh, but found a brochure for them in my basement recently. I recall the Kodak conversions of Nikon film bodies, and I recall the D1. But never heard of the the E2/E3 when they were current and this is the first I've heard of them other than that brochure. They must qualify as "forgotten" DSLRs.</p>