I'm looking for a point and shoot camera with some manual control

Hi guys,

I just bought an Olympus Infinity Jr from a yard sale (for $5!) and it takes surprisingly sharp pictures. It has

auto focus and auto exposure, and it's definitely a change from what I normally prefer using. I usually like

classic cameras with completely manual exposure control. But I have to admit, I've been playing around with this

one a lot lately and it's fun to also have a point-and-shoot film camera for snapshots. But there are times I

wish I could at least set the aperture so I could control the depth of field (like for blurring out cluttered

backgrounds).

Can anyone recommend a point-and-shoot camera that has at least SOME manual control? Like maybe aperture

priority. I always hear about the Olympus XA, and I've been wanting to get it for a while, but it always seems

like it sells for crazy prices.

So if anyone can think of some point-and-shoot cameras with some manual control that I might be able to find for

cheaper, that would be great. And if it's a vintage camera, that would be better yet. Were there any classic

cameras like this?

<p> Most of vintage P&S or Rangefinders cameras have full manual control.<br>

I'm thinking here of <strong>Voigtlander Vito B or Vito BL </strong>(2.8 lens, with bigger, mirror viewfinder). <br>

<strong>Voigtlander </strong><strong>Vitomatic IIa</strong> is a Beauty, one of the best looking cameras ever!<br>

When it comes to modern AF cameras, it will cost You top $$$, only <strong>Fuji Klasse, Leica Minilux, Leica CM and Konica Hexar AF </strong>comes to my mind.<br>

If I could I would get brand new <strong>Fuji Klasse S. </strong>One-hell-of-a-lens!<br>

<em> M.S.</em></p>

<p>You may have to refine what you are asking for a little more as to features vs. price. In compacts, I can't think of anything that is AF an that offers anything but program AE - but I'm not familiar with the true "premium" AF compacts. But if you think an XA is too expensive, these sell for even more. Relatively cheap but with some control is the Canon Sure Shot Classic 120 which offers both spot metering and +/- exposure override.</p>

<p>If you toss AF, then as you say the XA offers aperture priority as do the Minox EL/GT etc (but scale focus). Step a size up and there are compact RF cameras with shutter priority and manual (but no metering in manual) like the Olympus 35RC or Ricoh 500G. Step one more size up and you have fast f/1.7 lenses (e.g. Canon GL17 III and Minolta 7Sii) but the cost steps up too. </p>

<p>On this forum "full manual control" usually means ONLY manual control. ;)<br /> You might want to look into early modern automatic cameras like the <a href="../modern-film-cameras-forum/00Yk4S">Mirai</a>, that do allow manual control of focus, and settings to some degree.</p>

<p>The Canon Canonets (other than the 28 model) allow either AE or manual settings. Of course, you have to focus.</p>

<p>I'd thoroughly recommend the <a href="http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35ti.htm">Nikon 35ti</a>. Just fantastic. It has aperture priority, exposure compensation, the option to focus manually. And most importantly of all, it has a razor sharp lens.</p>

<p>It also looks rather dinky IMHO.</p>

<p>There is also the <a href="http://www.add-info.com/camera/images/minolta_tc1.jpg">Minolta TC-1</a>, which has nice aperture control ring on the lens, and is smaller than the Nikon. It's also has an excellent lens, though I found the Nikon's lens to be noticeably sharper.</p>

I'll second the Nikon L35AF3 which in addition to the features Fred mentions has a two stop opening manual overide for backlit subjects, delayed action, and a flat bottom for steadying the camera on a table, fence, or stump when needed. I'll add the Konica C35EF3 which has a 35mm, 5 element, 4 group lens, manual ASA settings from 25 to 400, manual scale focus with markings in feet, meters, and icons, delayed action, a manual film advance and rewind, and a threaded ring for filter or shade. (N rangefindeer for the shade to block.) I'm not sure if this qualifies as a point and shoot. Comes in one of four colors, fairly rare on EBay.

<p>I took the OP as asking for a small camera that can be P&S'ish but with some aperture control. I'd suggest the Canon QL 17 or 19 fits this bill. It has an automatic aperature priority mode, or you can use manual control. It is not AF of course. It is a rangefinder, that is very easy and fast to focus. It takes fantastic pictures. The QL 17 with it's f/1.7 lens is plenty fast enough to create very shallow DOF when needed. Great little camera.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
This might constitute a nonresponsive response, but: you could use any sort of old manual camera (I have an F and an F2, and sometimes do this), think glancingly about the "sunny 16" rule, set the aperture at f/8 or f/16 and the shutter speed at 1/60 or 1/125, turn the focus ring to just a hair short of infinity, and fire away. In anything like daylight you would almost always get printable/scannable negatives, if the subject is snapshot-able. Er, I guess I mean, if the subject could be taken with a Brownie.