How to unload the unwind roll films - CONTAX RTS

Hi all,

I am relatively new to film cameras, I am still learning using a film camera. More often use DSLR. I just spent my quarantine days taking a roll of 36 photos with CONTAX RTS. When I got to my last picture and about to unload the film, I mistook the rewind direction (I turn the film winder into the wrong/reverse direction), and sadly I forgot to push the rewind button (double mistake :( I know...)

Because I don't know the situation inside the camera, unfortunately, I have to open to see what's going on inside and see that I tore my film a bit on the edge. But the things, after I press the rewind button and try to rewind it again correctly, the film is still not moving :( do you guys know why?

I am worried and terrified that I might damage the film winder or the rewind button machine because early I forgot to press the button meanwhile rewind the film? So, the next step... What is the best thing that can I do to unload the unwind roll films and not damage the camera + the rest of the picture...

I am clueless and really need your advice... Thank you

1orYk.png

You probably ripped out the holes that engage the rewind sprocket so when you do the rewind correctly there is nothing to engage. You can open the camera in TOTAL darkness or a changing bag. Use the center of the film cartridge to manually rewind a bit to bypass the damage, put the roll back, engaging the sprocket by touch, close the camera and rewind. If there are photo shops in your vicinity, a better choice might be to have it done by someone who has been there before. Be sure to remove any film chips from the camera before use. Good Luck!

Hi all,

I am relatively new to film cameras, I am still learning using a film camera. More often use DSLR. I just spent my quarantine days taking a roll of 36 photos with CONTAX RTS. When I got to my last picture and about to unload the film, I mistook the rewind direction (I turn the film winder into the wrong/reverse direction), and sadly I forgot to push the rewind button (double mistake :( I know...)

Because I don't know the situation inside the camera, unfortunately, I have to open to see what's going on inside and see that I tore my film a bit on the edge. But the things, after I press the rewind button and try to rewind it again correctly, the film is still not moving :( do you guys know why?

I am worried and terrified that I might damage the film winder or the rewind button machine because early I forgot to press the button meanwhile rewind the film? So, the next step... What is the best thing that can I do to unload the unwind roll films and not damage the camera + the rest of the picture...

I am clueless and really need your advice... Thank you

1orYk.png

When you press the rewind button, can you grab the film and pull it out from the takeup spool? Whatever is not in the cassettes is shot anyway.

If this works, take out cassette, rewind film into it by hand. Leave the damaged part out, cut it off, pull out a few inches. Cut the end like the leader on a new cassette. You now have a practice roll of film.

Try the winder/shutter with no film. press lightly on the takeup spool while winding to see if it turns. If it slips and does not turn at all, you have a damaged wind mechanism.

If the takeup reel DOES work, load your now-practice roll into the camera and try winding, snapping shutter, until you get to the end, where the wind lever will not move all the way. DO NOT EVER FORCE IT. Press rewind button and rewind. Then finish the wind stroke and snap the shutter.

Do this all with the camera back open so you can see what happens and which direction to turn the rewind knob.

Moderator Note:

OP, you posted the same question in two forums. This is not allowed by the Terms and Conditions and User Guidelines to which you agreed when you joined. Moreover there is a good reason for this rule - we don't want several conversations, in different forums addressing the same Opening Post, that is simply not sensible and a waste of time.

I have deleted the duplicate post (it had no responses), and I have moved this conversation to Classic Manual Cameras Forum.

William

But the things, after I press the rewind button and try to rewind it again correctly, the film is still not moving . . . do you guys know why?

Some mechanisms will not allow the Film Rewind to engage whilst the Shutter is cocked or has began to be cocked. The shutter is "cocked" when the Film Advance Lever is fully rotated counter clockwise to the end of its compass.

The first maintenance task I advise is to ensure that the Shutter is cocked, then release the Shutter (i.e. press the button that takes the picture), then try the rewind button and see if it works.

In any case, the film outside the cassette was ruined, when you opened the back of the camera, so, as advised above in Post #3, remove that film cassette, rewind it manually and you can use it as a practice roll to test your camera's functions.

WW

(snip)

In any case, the film outside the cassette was ruined, when you opened the back of the camera, so, as advised above in Post #3, remove that film cassette, rewind it manually and you can use it as a practice roll to test your camera's functions.

WW

If it stays tightly wound, usually only about two layers of film get exposed.

The Rem-Jet backing on some films is even better.

I think the Canon that I used to use released the shutter tension when

turned to rewind position. (Without exposing the film.)

For my Nikon FM, I was told by the official Nikon repair place to finish the wind cycle

before rewinding. That is, hold the rewind button in, and wind to the end of the stroke.

After that, rewind.

-- glen

. . . If it stays tightly wound, usually only about two layers of film get exposed. . .

Point taken, for precision nothing should be assumed, better would be: "In any case, the film outside the cassette was ruined to some extent, when you opened the back of the camera".

Being precise - the amount of damage will be influenced by how tightly the film is wound: and other factors including, but not limited to - the amount of time it was exposed to the light and the strength of that light.

From what the OP posted, it seemed reasonable enough to have surmised that the back of the camera was opened for a period long enough to inspect it, fiddle with it (implied loosen it) and then set up and take the image which was posted. Secondly, in that image, there are reasonably hard shadows, which implies it was not a dark situation. Hence assuming quite a lot of damage to the film on the take up spool, was probably the result.

WW

Edited by William Michael

Many years ago, my father bought me a roll of Russian 35mm film, which comes with spool

and film wrapped in foil, but no metal cassette. (I suppose they reduce costs that way.)

So, it really does depend on the film keeping the inner layers protected.

(You do load in subdued light, but it doesn't have to be total darkness.)

Before that, I probably would have believe the whole roll was exposed with any

opening of the back.

-- glen