How much should I charge?

<p>How much I should a charge for a for a 13x19 ink jet print, printed on IGSF? <br /> First, let me give you a little background about the picture. <br /> Last October I took a picture of hole number 10 at my local County Club of which I'm a non golfing member. The picture was a nice fall scene at sunset with the camera on tripod exposer bracketed, resulting in a print of high quality.<br /> I sold one print to the Manager printed on IGSF along with a proof printed on Epson Luster.<br /> Everyone really liked it, and I was asked if they could use it as a Cover shot for there 2009 Members handbook, and would give me credit inside the cover. I was fine with that.<br /> Now, they've had requests for a print, and just emailed me asking what I would charge for prints. There are over 200 members, and if this takes off, well??<br /> The first print that I sold to the manager I asked $50.00 He said that was to much, but gave me $40.00. <br /> I feel that $50.00 is still a good deal, but, I don't want to lose sales, charging to much.<br /> I also mat and frame prints, which could be part of this as well.</p>

<p>Since you're asking for opinions, and I just happen to have one....</p>

<p>I would guess that the manager has a different relationship with money than the members. But then again, I don't know how much people pay to be members.</p>

<p>Given that you already gave away cover usage and caved when he offered you $40, I'm again guessing that you want to be known as the good guy who's part of the club more than you want to be Mr. Big.</p>

<p>So I'd say $50 for the members for a bare print: the manager gets to feel like he got a deal, and the members get to spend enough but not too much. Mounted on foamcore, matted, & bagged, I'd go $95. Still under the $100 psychological barrier, but a decent bump up for the added value. Framed in a $40 black frame from your local arts & crafts store, maybe $175. </p>

<p>Anyway, just my opinion....who's next?</p>

<p>Are you an artist? are you gonna sign these prints? That would make a difference. Will you be doing more shoots? When you get requests you should charge for the shoot. That way you don't spend time and then rely on print sales for covering the shoot.</p>

<p>One other thing to consider is that it's extremely difficult to raise your print prices in the future--assuming you'll be doing such work again--when buyers get used to such a low price to begin with. Do your self a huge favor next time and skip the sale to someone who thinks $50 is too much but willingly pays $40...he understands very little about creative talent, effort, output and monetary value. There's an odd balance between high prices and perceived value--use it!</p>

<p>Bill,<br>

Why not create an incentive here and save yourself a lot of effort? Set this up so that you're dealing with one person, perhaps someone in the office. Give them a deadline of perhaps 2 weeks and stick to it so that people aren't waiting too long.<br>

These number are just as example. If you get individual orders, charge them $85/print. If you get at least $10 orders then it's $75, for 25 orders, it's $65, etc., etc. Your contact at the club can give you one check or just collect them from the members; whatever works best for them.<br>

You can even offer them the same deal on a reorder. If someone call a week later and starts whining about the individual price, tell them if they can get a bunch of orders together, you'll do it again. Don't give in to the latecomer! This is a close group and they all talk. Better to have the latecomer be unhappy then the 50 who did things on time. It'll just get all of the riled up.<br>

This could make this a great profit maker; take advantage of the opportunity....-Aimee</p>