How Good is Nikon Service

bgelfand

<p>A few weeks ago we had a fire at the house. The fire started outside and was sucked into the vents under the eves; there was a 15 mph to 20 mph wind blowing it toward the house. Most of the direct fire damage was confined to the attic. However, the living area was filled with smoke and soot. Although my cameras were in their bags, I think a good cleaning of my F100 would be in order to remove any soot that might be in the works. My insurance company agrees and will pay for the cleaning.</p>

<p>To my question, how good is Nikon Service in El Segundo, CA? Has anyone had their <strong><em>film</em></strong> cameras serviced by them lately (say the last 6 months)? If so, what was your experience? I am beginning to wonder if Nikon even remembers how to service film cameras. <grin></p>

<p>Do I need to send my lenses in for cleaning as well? I have a 35-70 f/2.8D, a 50mm f/1.4D, and two manual focus lenses. I have no AF-S lenses.</p>

<p>Hi Shun,</p>

<p>Thank you for the comment, but it does not answer my question.</p>

<p>Cost is not a factor. Even if it were, I would rather get my camera back in known good condition than chance a used camera, even from a reputable used dealer like KEH. My renters insurance will pay for the cleaning. The other option is for the insurance company to buy me a <strong><em>new</em></strong> F100. Since the F100 is no longer made, that is not a viable option. I can choose which ever firm I want to service the camera. For me that leaves two choices - Nikon or International Camera Technicians in Mountain View, CA. Fred at ITC is snowed under with work; he will clean my Bronica S2A in August. </p>

<p>So my question remains, so far unanswered, does Nikon El Segundo still do good work on film cameras? Have you ever sent a camera to them? When? Were you satisfied with the work?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nikon <i>Professional</i> Services (NPS) is very, very good to it's members. They hurry up your repair and it's fantastic to work with them as a professional.</p>

<p>Sending something back to Nikon as a consumer, is a bit slower.</p>

<p>As Peter points out, B&H has brand new F100 cameras in stock if cost is indeed not a factor at all: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/165828-USA/Nikon_1796_F100_Body_Black_.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/165828-USA/Nikon_1796_F100_Body_Black_.html</a></p>

<p>If you must have your F100 repaired, I would imagine that Nikon USA repair will do a good job as they do most of the time. However, unless you have an F6, in most situations it is not worthwhile to repair film SLRs any more. Therefore, it is unlikely that you'll hear from a lot of people who have "recent" film SLR repair experience.</p>

<p>Another place that typically performs excellent Nikon repair is Authorized Photo Service: <a href="http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/">http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/</a></p>

<p>Hi Brooks,</p>

<p>Sorry about your misfortune.</p>

<p>Several years ago, I'd paid substantially for a direct Nikon repair. Well, the lens seemed to make as good an image as it ever did afterwards, but there was still something rolling around inside..</p>

<p>Like you, it seems, I prefer repairing something which is a known quantity, especially if I've owned it for several years and know its history thoroughly. After the mentioned repair experience, I found Terry Grandfield's Southern Exposure Camera Repair in PA. I know it seems like it is on the other side of the country from you, but you could easily call or email him, and get an idea. He's done absolutely great work for me on both Nikon and Canon. An F3HP, which I'd dropped and crushed the prism was fixed like new, and I've used it for years since without a single problem. And he actually fabricated a part for a long ago Canon lens which was quite impressive to me. It's hard to say enough about this guy, imo. He's thoroughly trained, started in the military, and has many years of experience.<br>

http://www.southernexposurecamerarepair.com/Site/Welcome.html</p>

<p>Hi Shun,</p>

<p>When I wrote "cost is not a factor" I meant reasonable differences between technicians. My policy provides for repair where feasible and replacement with a new item if repair is impossible or uneconomical. I doubt Nikon will charge the $800 B&H want for a new F100 to clean my F100. It is my understanding that a normal CLA cost under $200.</p>

<p>I realize not many people repair film cameras these days. However if anyone does, I thought there was a good chance they were photo.net members, hence my post.</p>

<p>Thank you for the link to APS. Their FAQ states my rational for having the F100 cleaned rather than simply replacing it with a used copy - I start with a known good camera. Have you used APS yourself?</p>

<p>Hi Nic,</p>

<p>I am not a professional. I assume the same technicians would work on my cameras as work on the professionals' cameras; I would have a lower priority, not a lower standard of service. Have you been satisfied with Nikon's work on your cameras?</p>

<p>Hi Jeff,</p>

<p>Thanks for the reply. I am thankful that my Significant Other and I got out of the house uninjured; we were home when the fire started.</p>

<p>Thank you for the link to Southern Exposure Camera Repair. If I read your post correctly, you are not completely satisfied with the Nikon service, but you lens works properly and has for some time after the repair.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Brooks, I have been using Nikon cameras since 1977 and all of my Nikon equipment rarely needs repair. Therefore, I only have limited experience with repair. So far I am happy with Nikon USA repair every time (out of approximagtely 7 times in the last 20 years), and I used Authorized Photo Service once based on recommendations from this forum. I could not use Nikon USA because it was a gray-market lens. If you do a search here, you'll see a lot of recommendation for their service.</p>

<p>I would send it to Nikon to be fixed up. Also KEH.com has a good reputation for repairs and Advance Camera in Portland Oregon has worked on one of my film camera's and did an excellent and speedy service. For reference you can go to KEH.com and look at the prices of used F100's to get an idea of replacement cost if the insurance company was interested. Used F100's do not seem cheap to me. You are the only one that can see if your lenses are in need of cleaning because of the fire. Good luck and yes Nikon remembers how to work on film camera's. </p>

<p>I have only sent one lens to Nikon for repair, but they were excellent. I would imagine they would do a great job at cleaning your camera. After all they did make it, I would imagine they are pretty good at working on them. It's like a car, you can take it to other places to have it worked on, but the manufacturer's service department is usually one of the better ones. Since that brand is all they work on they usually know it backwards and forwards.<br>

You might find out the cost to repair, they may consider just replacing it. Or at the very least if the price difference isn't much they may just give you the money and you can apply it towards a new one.</p>

<p>Thank you all; I appreciate the feedback.</p>

<p>Shun, like you I have been using Nikon equipment for years - since 1970. It rarely needs repair. I hope I can go for another long time after this cleaning.</p>

<p>I hope to retrieve the cameras from my friend's home, where we took them after the fire, and send the F100 off to Nikon this week. I am not sure the lenses need cleaning. If there is no soot on the outside, I may leave them alone. I may ask Fred, at ITC, to take a quick look at them and give me an opinion.</p>

<p>I have my D70s in for repair at Nikon in NY and is being covered under the Nikon extended warranty. It has been on hold waiting for parts for nearly 3 weeks. I'll post the results when I get it back.<br>

Stan</p>

<p>There are so few reports of problems with Nikon 35mm SLRs I had to dig back into the wayback machine to find one: <a href="00DmCA">Nikon F3 repair</a> (2005). Robert Lai reported satisfactory service of his F3 in the early 2000s. Other than that, the only repair anecdotes I can recall regarding the F100 was due to the rewind fork.</p>

<p>Hey Brooks,</p>

<p>Good to hear that everyone was okay; sounds like a very scary experience. I just hope that the cause has been completely addressed.</p>

<p>I'm fairly surprised to hear so many that seem to have had good experiences with Nikon doing their repairs. I seem to remember other posts over the years where the preponderance of feedback seemed to be the opposite. I can only speak for myself, of course, and the Nikon equipment itself has been ultra reliable. The only repairs I've needed were with just a few accidents over the course of more than a dozen years, plus cases of maintenance that had been totally neglected on some cameras that had been given to me, and one repaired on behalf of a friend.</p>

<p>Although the lens I'd had Nikon repair seemed to perform optically as it always did (dropped while carrying it mounted on a tripod while scrambling up a muddy creek bed in late winter, and slipped), I was disappointed with the sound of something rattling around inside after receiving it back. This noise was not present before the fall. It's been several years, but I remember having trouble communicating with the right person at the facility, and the experience stayed with me. It was a fairly expensive repair, too.</p>

<p>On the other hand, with Terry Grandfield, I am dealing with one individual, he can be reached easily, and he is definitely experienced and well trained. His work area is incredible in its organization and neatness. I'd much rather deal with a craftsman/professional like Terry with everything riding on reputation than an employee of a corporation that now seems to have as its business model, like so many others, the task of enticing its customers to buy its seemingly never ending cycles of ever "improved" products.</p>

<p>I've met other satisfied customers of his over the years, too, and never anything negative. He's not even an old guy, so hopefully he'll be there for us for a long time.</p>

<p>Had a wonderful day here shooting modern Kodak films with my F3HP! Hope you're able to do the same soon with your F100! Jeff</p>

<p>Hi Jeff,</p>

<p>The fire started outside the house, between my neighbor's home and ours. We keep nothing back there and neither does my neighbor. I have no idea what started the fire. When I first saw the fire (we were in the house working on our computers, when my Significant Other heard a "crackling sound" from outside), the wooden fence that separates the properties was ablaze; the flames were being fanned by a 15 to 20 mph wind blowing toward our home. While my Significant Other called 911, I tried to slow the fire with the garden hose. With the wind, it was useless. There was no way I was going between a blazing fence and a burning house. We moved the cars out of the attached garage and were ordered to move across the street by the police.</p>

<p>The fire department responded promptly and knocked the fire down. We had six fire trucks, three police cars and the fire rescue truck in the street in front of our house. The fire itself was confined to the attic. In fact the smoke alarms in the house did not start to sound until after the first fire truck arrived. Most of the damage in the living quarters was smoke, soot, and some water damage.</p>

<p>It will take at least three months repair the structure, but that is the landlord's problem; we are renters not owners. At present, we are back to apartment living.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I'm fairly surprised to hear so many that seem to have had good experiences with Nikon doing their repairs. I seem to remember other posts over the years where the preponderance of feedback seemed to be the opposite."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A truism of customer satisfaction surveys is that satisfied customers tend to be silent. Dissatisfied customers appear to dominate online searches because they're more aggressive in posting their anecdotes. My observation after a decade on photo.net and more than 20 years online is that dissatisfied people are inclined to post the same complaint to many websites, forums, blogs and anywhere possible, while satisfied customers may be content to post only a single anecdote recounting their positive experience.</p>

<p>My personal experience with Nikon USA service has been very satisfactory, but is limited to only a couple of phone calls and a single warranty service of my D2H in 2006. Not much to go on. My problems with Nikon film cameras have been very minor and occurred to used cameras before I received them. The ISO dial on my F3 spins freely, so I figured out another way to keep track of the ISO. And the plastic film door latch on my N6006 broke, a common problem with that model. That's it. Overall the Nikons have been more reliable than any other brand of 35mm SLR I've owned (Miranda, Canon, Minolta, Olympus). Not much opportunity to gather any personal opinion of Nikon USA service.</p>

<p>Thank you for the feedback, Lex. I did a search before I posted and, like you, did not find many complaints - nothing recent. I cannot get too upset that Nikon builds reliable cameras. Perhaps Nikon should start their own "Maytag Repairman" advertisements on TV. <grin></p>

<p>Hey Brooks, Wow, that must have been an experience! A lot of upheaval too, but of course, wonderful that it wasn't worse. Makes me even less inclined to complain about all of the rain we've experienced here in the East. I hope that you have good luck with everything going forward!</p>

<p>Hi Lex, Yes, what you mention about dissatisfied customers being more vocal rings true, and seems to make sense to me. Fwiw, I don't think I've ever mentioned my single (and not terrible, just seemed lackluster and expensive) experience with Nikon Repair before. Just seem to remember a flurry of complaints from others online a few years ago, and remember thinking at the time that they sounded a bit like whiners. Like you, I've had almost the same great results as to the durability of my Nikon equipment. I did opt to have my N6006's "achilles heel" repaired, though;) (and don't you still love that camera!? I sure do!). But my main reason for mentioning SECR is that I feel so lucky to have found a facility like that, and it seems quite rare in this day and age, and especially if it might help all parties I try to mention it.</p>

<p>I don't fit Lex's "observation" - Nikon Canada's service has been great the couple times I've dealt with them and I always try to post showing my satisfaction where ever I can. :)<br>

I sent my 18-135mm DX lens in for repair (focus motor and C&A) on June 7th and Nikon had it back to me July 5th. I was quite happy as I was expecting 6 to 8 weeks.</p>

<p>I just got my F3HP back from Nikon USA in Southern California after sending it to them 10 days ago for repairs to the shutter, which was "clipping" at speeds of 1/500 and higher. I was starting to get portions of the negative black. I contacted them several days after they received the camera and discussed the problem with the technician. He told me it would function as new when they were through with the cleaning and adjustment. On the repair order that came back with the camera they listed: adjust exposure, replace sponge, adjust mirror operation, adjust shutter speeds, and check flash operation, film rewind, film winding and a general check and clean. As far as I can tell from a short roll of film it does work as it should....I couldn't be happier with the whole experience and the cost was well under $200 including shipping.<br>

Several months ago I sent my 20mm AFD to APS for overhaul as the blades were oiled up and drawing error codes on my D200. Their service, like Nikon USA was very reasonable, quick, efficient and professional.</p>