How does he do it?

rasi_wickra

<p>I am a photo enthusiast and not a professional wedding photographer. Recently, I discovered the website of a very talented wedding photographer, Mr. Otto Haring.<br>

<a href="http://www.haringphotography.com">http://www.haringphotography.com</a><br>

Can someone explain to me how he takes such rich pictures? What I don't understand is that he has perfect sharpness, incredibly color rich images, contrasty, and absolutely breathtaking.<br>

The irony is that about 4 years ago, Mr. Haring was active in this forum and asked the very same question about someone elses' photography. I would love to hear from him, and I have written to him twice but have not received any response. I imagine he must be very busy with his successful wedding photography business.<br>

If someone else can provide suggestions about how the richness of color, sharpness and contrast are achieved, I would be grateful. Do you think he does this out-of-the camera, or is this all post-processing? I am just stunned at the color and would be so lucky to be able to take pics like that.<br>

Thanks for your time!</p>

<p>Rasi</p>

<p>Hi Rasi, I'm not a wedding photographer either, but if you browse through his Flash site and click on "Information" on the menu bar, you will get a good sense on how he (they) approach their assignments which is reflected in their style.</p>

<p>I don't think there is any particular magic, simply that he has quality gear and knows how to use it to the best advantage through his artistic and technical sense. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for the response. I looked on the site and the "information" seems to talk more about his philosophy. The only tid-bit I could gather is that he seems to use primarily prime lenses. What I don't get is what sort of post-processing he does to the images. No question he is a talented photographer!</p>

<p>Well, what I'm seeing in that picture is a high end camera and a capable lens shot at high ISO. The scene is inherently colorful, so if you get a clean shot in RAW, there's no reason why this type of result can not be expected with just a bit of tweaking in software. </p>

<p>In the linked-to photo, I'm actually seeing what looks to me like <em>over</em>-saturation of the blues, and some contrast pushed in post production. Those are a couple of mouse-clicks after the fact, really. It certainly helps that he uses a camera with good dynamic range, and that many of his more compelling images take advantage of subject/background separation through the use of a wide aperture and the resulting shallow depth of field. But much of what I sense that you're liking starts with a decent exposure, and then some relatively careful work in post production (read: time for some Photoshop! - but you could get it done in Lightroom or any number of other tools).</p>

<p>About half the gallery images including the linked example, have a radio triggered flash gun on a light stand positioned behind the subject, this is giving the 3d effect.<br>

Then most everything has had the contrast and saturation pumped up. The naturally lit shots have the advantage of some beautiful brides and a lovely quality of Miami sunshine.</p>

<p>Good photography and good lenses which is to be expected by a professional. The basic post processing to bring out colors and contrast again something that should be expected from a professional. With the exception of some special effects sprinkled in on a few shots which is something that should be used sparingly. When your photography is good you don't need to add special effects and dramatic processing on every picture. In my work on my website I don't use one special effect in processing. All is done in camera and with lighting (strobe or natural light).</p>

<p>I'm no pro, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are too many photographers who can get these kinds of results straight in camera. Most shoot in RAW and try to keep things as neutral as possible as to be able to maximize their post production efforts.</p>

<p>At first, I spent hours upon hours in LR or PS. Now that I have a certain amount of go to presets that I'm particularly found of, that amount of time has decreased, but I don't think there is truly any way to achieve these results straight in camera. </p>

<p>One must also remember that these images are being used to sell a product and service and have been worked on to showcase the possibilities that arise if he were to get the gig. No way does anyone just put their images on a website straight from camera. </p>

<p>Or am I mistaken?</p>

<p>Keif if you are refering to my comment you best reread it slowly cause I did not say at anytime that those shots were all done in camera. WHAT I DID SAY IS MY SHOTS THAT I TOOK IN MY WEBSITE ARE DONE IN CAMERA! A great image does has to start with good skill technique and talent, all which Mr. Haring has. I ALSO SAID THAT A PROFESSIONAL MUST USE SOME PROCESSING IN RAW TO BRING OUT THE COLORS AND CONTRAST. Now to what degree and how many hours it takes you in processing is your business. <br /> My initial comment was to Rasi to answer that as a professional photographer one must at the very least meet those points that she thought to be hard to achieve "perfect sharpness, incredibly color rich images, contrasty, and absolutely breathtaking" Most amatures look for a magic program to turn there mediocre pictures into breathtaking images and sometimes it works but it should be done sparingly.</p>

<p>Sorry, Michael. I was not referring to your comment. I was referring to Rasi's first post. I'm not in the habit of insulting people on this forum nor do I look to pick fights. I'm a newbie and look up to all of you. This forum has been a huge source of help and inspiration.</p>

<p>That said, I did read your post CAREFULLY and I am in complete agreement with what you said.</p>

<p>Absolutely agree.<br>

And you're right, Mark. As an amateur, I can take decent pictures but my pictures on average do not look as breath taking as Mr. Harings (or yours for that matter -- impressive work on your website). I guess I do agree that I am looking for that one shortcut, not necessarily to bridge the gap between the quality of my work and Mr Harings, but perhaps a little piece of the puzzle that will help me get one step closer. <br>

Thanks again for all of your comments. I love this forum, and you all have been wonderful.</p>

<p>Focus on the basics of photography and experiment with different lenses at different f-stops. Pay attention to what is in the frame of your camera. You are responsible for everything that comes into that frame. Many times new photographers are only focused on there subject and not on the surround frame. Composition, composition, composition equals great images with impact.</p>

<p>Agreed. I am sure he used some work on the photos, but I agree with Michael that it does not take away from the fact that he is a talented photographer. I liked what he had done with some of the macro shots (rings, shoes etc) by using props that give color so that when using a shallow DOF the subject is in crisp focus, but the background is a creamy emulsion of multicolor. This is probably something that's quite common in your world, but I thought it was cool.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Just so everyone knows, there is a way to tell that he has used Lightroom and four different plug-ins, or at least four trips through plug-ins, on the specific linked shot. The post-processing used was not all that basic."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Jeff, can you let us know how to tell? I don't use Lightroom so it'd be an education. </p>

<p>Rasi, the question I would ask myself if I were you trying to understand these shots is, first, what about these images appeals to me. You use the description "rich" or "rich colors" and I think that was aptly described as kicking up the saturation. With Nik Viveza, you can select a color, the dress for example and work on it alone. You have brightness, contrast, detail, shadow and individual color adjustments available on the drop down. You can then copy those changes to a similar dress. This would kick up the dresses or what ever but wouldn't effect skin tones which could be lost by those adjustments, not to mention, the kicked up detail wouldn't be welcomed if it was kicking up the detail of blemishes and wrinkles. I'm not sure, if on some it was a global adjustment. I would guess the Nik series was the plug ins were used. Their noise reduction, viveza, and color efex pro plus silver efex for b&w. The reds and blues seem especially saturated. Michael is spot on, the initial capture starts the ball rolling. This photographer has a great feel for light, that's not photoshop, that's photography. Look at how the light has direction in most of his shots and shadows are well placed and the ratio is appropriate for the shot, darker for more dramatic, lighter for the dreamier shot. On the shallow dof shots, he nails focus, gets the right dof for making the second person slightly out of focus yet recognizable making the person in focus the star and has great bokeh from his lenses. I agree with Matt, the saturation has been heavily increased. I wonder if this is something that sells to the culture he shoots or is cultural for him? At least it isn't the "expired film" yellow look I hated even before it went cliché. I agree with Jeff, on some of the compositions there could be improvement, but I still like the images because, first, some of these don't appear posed and is an attempt to capture the decisive moment as it unrolls. That's a challenge wedding photogs share with the street guys and photojournalists. When you get it, its like the crack of the bat on a perfectly hit ball. Also, I love Bambi Cantrell's quote, expression trumps perfection every time. Or, beauty is in the eye of the checkbook holder. I doubt many of these folks actually have a clue about composition. But that doesn't relieve the photog for responsibility for everything in the frame. Notice how well he uses the implied lines from eyes to direct your eye around the photos. Of course it helps to have a beautiful subject with large eyes. Here, sometimes it's the mood he has captured. As you work through his website, he changes up the saturated image with the occasional black and white. If this is your style, learn it. I studied with Denis Reggie years back and he is heavily photojournalistic. Minimal post except on images that benefit from it or need it to be "saved." A different style. And at 30-50k per wedding, a different clientel. Take a look at his images too. Joe Bussink as well.</p>

<p>Thanks guys, especially Michael, Bob and Jeff for your comments!<br /> I really am trying to understand how to recreate the photographic quality. There are so many things I love about Otto Haring's work, even how he chooses to isolate the subject in each of his photographs.<br /> There are some compositional elements that I am baffled by (as in, not sure how he creates this effect). For example, take a look at this photo:<br /> <a href="http://www.haringphotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Haring-Photography-17-of-55.jpg">http://www.haringphotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Haring-Photography-17-of-55.jpg</a><br>

<br /> How is it that the area of focus is between two vertical lines in the center of the photo. Are there lenses that can create this effect or is this something done in post?</p>

<p>Next, take a look at this image:<br>

<br /> <a href="http://www.haringphotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/00016-copy.jpg">http://www.haringphotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/00016-copy.jpg</a><br>

<br /> In this image, I've also noticed that the bokeh in many of his images taken at "natural" focal lengths (like 35-50mm or so) have a swirly nature to it -- where the out of focus highlights become more elliptical as they extend out from the focal plane. I've never seen this effect before in other wedding photography and was wondering whether this was also a photography technique or postprocessing.<br /> Lastly, I love the advice and comments from all of you. I am not a wedding photographer but what you said about being able to capture the perfect picture at the perfect time is quite a talent to develop. My hats off for people like you in this business. Amazing work, everyone.</p>